Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valence/Rocker Panel Restoration
914club.com > The 914Club Forums > Concours d'Elegance
Mr_Zambezi
Ok, so I saw that Mr. Garvey made a post concerning the score of a rear valence that had been restored to a near stock condition and gave some insight on how it was done. I have not gotten a responce back requesting information on where to
have the same work done, so I'd thought I would put our a broadcast request for info.

I'm desperate. I'm head deep in a 73 "complete" restoration and need help. Hoping Brad sees this post.

I need to know how to properly restore my rocker panels and valence to a factory condition. If someone could direct me to a vendor that does this the best, or provide me with a list of the proper materials I would need to complete the work myself, it would be greatly appreciated. Just need some help here; I've restored VW's, but new to the 914 world.

Thanks ahead of time.

J Aldridge
Tri-Cities, WA.
Pat Garvey
Ok, so I saw that Mr. Garvey made a post concerning the score of a rear valence that had been restored to a near stock condition and gave some insight on how it was done. I have not gotten a responce back requesting information on where to
have the same work done, so I'd thought I would put our a broadcast request for info.

I'm desperate. I'm head deep in a 73 "complete" restoration and need help. Hoping Brad sees this post.

I need to know how to properly restore my rocker panels and valence to a factory condition. If someone could direct me to a vendor that does this the best, or provide me with a list of the proper materials I would need to complete the work myself, it would be greatly appreciated. Just need some help here; I've restored VW's, but new to the 914 world.

Thanks ahead of time.

J Aldridge
Tri-Cities, WA.

Sorry, I get here infrequently.
Your front and rear valences, as well as the rocker covers should be sprayed with Body Shutz (3M) on both sides, assuming the metal has been prepped & primed on both sides.

You will need the special gun supplied by 3M to do this(it's cheap), as well as a compressor running at low psi (about 35).

Assuming the metal has been prepped & primed, spray with Schutz (do NOT use the stuff in cans - wrong finish). Test on a piece of wood or anything first, to get the proper panel finish. Should be VERY close to runny, but not - should look like the finish on football.

Once it has dried (2-3 days) you can do what you want with it - paint it (recommended), or leave it alone.
Pat

And, PLEASE, don't call me Mr. Garvey!
Mr_Zambezi

Thanks ahead of time.

J Aldridge
Tri-Cities, WA.

Sorry, I get here infrequently.
Your front and rear valences, as well as the rocker covers should be sprayed with Body Shutz (3M) on both sides, assuming the metal has been prepped & primed on both sides.

You will need the special gun supplied by 3M to do this(it's cheap), as well as a compressor running at low psi (about 35).

Assuming the metal has been prepped & primed, spray with Schutz (do NOT use the stuff in cans - wrong finish). Test on a piece of wood or anything first, to get the proper panel finish. Should be VERY close to runny, but not - should look like the finish on football.

Once it has dried (2-3 days) you can do what you want with it - paint it (recommended), or leave it alone.
Pat

And, PLEASE, don't call me Mr. Garvey!

Pat, good to hear from you. Thanks to the reply.

So the stuff comes in gallons/cans? Where do you get it? Also, what type of paint / paint finish (flat, satin, semi gloss) do you use?

PS: just saw your puttputt for sale, nice rig!
Brad Roberts
Thanks Pat clap56.gif smilie_pokal.gif

B
Jon Fernandes
So the stuff comes in gallons/cans? Where do you get it? Also, what type of paint / paint finish (flat, satin, semi gloss) do you use?

You can get it in quart sizes, but im not sure how much you would need to do the valances and rockers. I just placed an order for 1 quart from here, hope its enough. The proper gun to shoot the body schutz cost about $60, and can be had from many different places, just do a google search, the part number is 3M 08997. I was able to borrow the gun from someone, being that I'll probably only use it once or twice.

Im taking care of the valances this weekend, sanding, repairing any dents, and priming. Hopefully I can shoot the body schutz next weekend. I'll post pics.
Pat Garvey
I just want to reiterate that "Shutz" is available in rattle cans. It's useful to have if you are an owner of a "rustproofed" 914. Works OK on the underside, but do not use it on valences or rocker covers. Comes out with too much pressurefor the desired finish on rockers & valences - leaving an incorrect finish. Fine for touching up the belly, though.

To do the rockers & valences correctly you need lower pressure (which means would need a compressor or bottle with an adjustment knob).

Good luck & experiment first.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.