Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VDO guages
914club.com > The 914Club Forums > Concours d'Elegance
Pat Garvey
I have a complete spare set VDO guages that I picked up thru the years, plus a metric speedo (it was free). Want these to be ready off-the-shelf for use, but the insides of the glass (early, I believe) are fogged up. I know the later ones have plastic lenses, but mine are from '71 & '72. Want to clean 'em up.

Looked at PP articles about this, but they seemed a little "barbaric" when it comes to getting the lens out.

Anyone have any tips on how to remove the bezels, without damaging them? No, I don't need them & am unwilling to send them to Palo Alto & spending a bunch of bucks on them. Something I can do myself, please?
70Sixter
I did it once. Not pretty from the back, tho. But the rubber gasket hid it.

You just have to work a thin blade around between the rim and the gage. Slowly and patiently.

Putting it back together was no fun either. Bend and tap, tap, tap.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE (70Sixter @ Nov 9 2006, 05:27 PM) *
I did it once. Not pretty from the back, tho. But the rubber gasket hid it.

You just have to work a thin blade around between the rim and the gage. Slowly and patiently.

Putting it back together was no fun either. Bend and tap, tap, tap.

Yeah, got that impression from a PP link. Steady & slow.

Guess the VDO speedo shops probably replace the outer bezel & have a special crimping tool to do so.

I'll do these myself, because they're spares & nothing lost if I screw one up.

Thanks for the input!
914-8
Yeah, a shop would use a new bezel.

But it's not hard to reuse the old one. The metal is fairly soft and easy to peel back and tap back down. If you want, after you get it tapped down as nicely as possible, you can sand the now slightly wavy tapped down backside of the bezel, mask it off, and hit it with some flat or semiflat black. If you're reasonably careful, it can look surprisingly good.

Of course, once you push the rubber gasket in place, the backside of the bezel isn't visible anymore, even when the gauge is off the car.

But none of this affects the way the gauge looks once it's mounted back in the car.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE (914-8 @ Nov 9 2006, 09:17 PM) *
Yeah, a shop would use a new bezel.

But it's not hard to reuse the old one. The metal is fairly soft and easy to peel back and tap back down. If you want, after you get it tapped down as nicely as possible, you can sand the now slightly wavy tapped down backside of the bezel, mask it off, and hit it with some flat or semiflat black. If you're reasonably careful, it can look surprisingly good.

Of course, once you push the rubber gasket in place, the backside of the bezel isn't visible anymore, even when the gauge is off the car.

But none of this affects the way the gauge looks once it's mounted back in the car.

I'm sure new bezels are available. Ant idea what type of compression tool is used to form the in place?
RickS
I have done 4 gauge faces and all that is required is a small screwdriver (for prying around the edge - very carefully) and tons of patience. If you are careful and don't bend it much, you can't tell it was ever removed. No need to crimp them back on either - they usually fit very tightly. Makes a world of difference with clean glass (or plastic) and very gently cleaning the gauge face.
Bleyseng
Yup, I have to remove some scratches from a set of 76 gauges. Maybe I'll just install spare glass lenses as its much clearer to see thru with glass.
914Sixer
I just got a set of gages back from Horth Hollywood Speedometer. The work is good but costly. The one thing I am disappointed with them is about when they silkcreen the new face they cover up the orignial part number at the 12 o'clock position. That seems to make them less than concours. I asked about it but I never got a good reply.
PorVdub
yeah, work slowly, minimal bending, all teh way around, no short cuts, bend a LITTLE all the WAY AROUND. use extreme caution in cleanin of face. old gages, can have the printing rub right off, do not use any liquids if you can avoid it, as that can unexpectally stains the face, or washes off the numbers, clean teh face with a dry light fluffy brush to remove dust. sometimes paint on face is so brittle that it powwders right off. lot depends on age,a dn how the car was stored for 30 + yrs. if always gargaes, it will be a bit tougher, if sun baked, the paint can come off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.