Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riviera wheels in 76
914club.com > The 914Club Forums > Concours d'Elegance
TomSherman
One for the historians out there. All original 76 models I have seen have either steel sports or rivieras. It seems Fuchs were not offered / available for 76. My personal 76 appearance group came with rivieras from the dealer. What is the real story ? Would rivs. be correct in Concours ? confused24.gif
Dr. 914
For 76 the standard wheels were styled steel with the four ribs running towards a flat black center cap in the middle. The usual optional wheel was the silver painted Mahle and the Fuchs was another option. Riviera and Empi and American racing wheels were installed by the dealers as an aftermarket accessory to make more money on the sale. They were not original from the factory. Best to install factory wheels and sell the rivieras to a vw or 914 guy on a budget. You will have points taken off for Riviera wheels in the concours even if you have a sales ticket from the original selling dealer saying that he installed them!!!!!!

d
QUOTE (TomSherman @ Dec 14 2010, 04:16 AM) *
One for the historians out there. All original 76 models I have seen have either steel sports or rivieras. It seems Fuchs were not offered / available for 76. My personal 76 appearance group came with rivieras from the dealer. What is the real story ? Would rivs. be correct in Concours ? confused24.gif

Tom_T
For 76 the standard wheels were styled steel with the four ribs running towards a flat black center cap in the middle. The usual optional wheel was the silver painted Mahle and the Fuchs was another option. Riviera and Empi and American racing wheels were installed by the dealers as an aftermarket accessory to make more money on the sale. They were not original from the factory. Best to install factory wheels and sell the rivieras to a vw or 914 guy on a budget. You will have points taken off for Riviera wheels in the concours even if you have a sales ticket from the original selling dealer saying that he installed them!!!!!!

d

agree.gif

My 73 "914S"/914-2.0 also had Rivieras when I bought it from the PO/OO in 12/75, which IIRC were put on by the dealer, and which was okay by me at the time. They were possibly put on as a cheaper cost replacement for the dealer & added optional item (as George says), mine being part of the BO Recall for the "wrong" non-hub-centric wheels being erroneously put on the new 73 MY with hub-centric front hubs.

However, I've purchased a nice set of 5 restored Fuchs as they were what was supposed to be on it from the factory, and may use the Rivieras as an "extra" set of wheels/tires for non-CdE use driving around town. You may want to use that strategy too, in order to keep your "correct" wheels nice & rash-free.

BTW - the Window Sticker or COA may note whether or not your 76 came from the factory with which wheels - & if it says nothing, then the presumption is that they were the steel "Star" mag-look wheels. After that, you can decide whether you want the star steel, Mahle 4-lug or Fuchs 2L wheels on your "show-boat".

FYI - if you decide to get a set of 5 Fuchs or Mahles that need restoring, both Al Reid Wheel Polishing down here in Anaheim & Wiedeman Wheels up in Oroville do excellent resto to OE finish.

Note that the correct factory set were 5 - not 4 - alloys, but dealers would steal the spares, put in a steelie spare (sometimes without the required 4 shorter 25 mm lug bolts), then after stealing 4 spares, they could sell a set of 4 for 100% profit - quite a scam back in the day!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE (TomSherman @ Dec 14 2010, 06:16 AM) *

Agree with Goerge's comments. Rivieras were never, ever a factory option. If you have a really nice 914, ditch 'em & go with starred steelies or Fuchs.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.