Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: just bought a 74 914 bumblebee series
914club.com > The 914Club Forums > 914Club Garage
smoyer31
I have just bought this car and cant figure out why it wont start. I have tested the starter and I know that it works fine. I have double checked the ground strap connection from the tranny and the white wires at the back of the engine compartment.

When I turn the key or jump the starter across the terminals it clicks like it is engaging but dosent turn over the engine. I just get a buzzing sound like it trying to turn but doesnt. If I pull it half way out and then wire a ground to the starter case to have a circuit it runs fine and I can see the starter pop out and spins. I have taken a good started out of another working 914 that I have and put it into this car and the same thing happens. I have checked to make sure I have 12 volts from the battery to the starter.
I have pulled the plugs and turned the wheels in gear so I know all pistons are working.

Any other suggestions on why a good starter wouldnt have enough power to turn it over ?

Also the head lights pop up but neither light up. I havent checked the bulbs yet but is there anything else I should check first ?

Thanks for any ideas...I have heard that this series is a good one to have but it is not starting out well

john grier
Just a dumb comment here.
What about fuel.
Did the fuel pump come on, is the gas free flowing?
'73-914kid
This is usually the transmission ground. How does the strap between the tail cone of the transmission and the body look? That is usually the culprit for starter issues
tod914
Maybe your ignition switch is bad? Pretty easy replacement. Tech article on the Pelicanparts site.
smoyer31
I have cleaned the ground strap and both connection ends.

For the ignition switch I have removed that from the puzzle by jumping the terminals on the starter.
When the terminals are jumped and it is half way out I can see that it works properly, but when in place it tries to run but doesnt. It just hummmms. The starter does work when it is in enough 914 that I have.

Again I can rotate the engine by putting it in gear and turning the wheel, so I know the engine is not frozen.

For the Gas I will get to that next once I get the engine turning over so it has a chance to start.

Please keep the ideas coming

I am stuck and would love to be able to restore this car.

Thanks again
zx-niner
Have you tried directly shorting the starter across the terminals with a screwdriver. And for liabilities sake I should add to make sure the rear is in the air in case the tires turn, or at least triple check that the trannie is in neutral.

If it turns over via the direct-short method you will know the problem is somewhere in the starter switch circuit. If it still doesn't turn over your problem is probably battery, cable or grounds related.

****Oops, I see you posted while I was composing. If the starter turns when shorted if it is not in far enough to engage the flywheel, yet does not turn when engaging the flywheel it is a matter of not getting enough current from the battery. Since you have cleaned all terminal, cable and ground connections, have a load test done on the battery.
smoyer31
Now you are at the same confusion point that I am at.

I checked and I know I have 12 volts going to the starter and then I jump that over to the other terminal.

I dont get what else would cause it to not have enough power.

As I mentioned before it works in one of my other 914's

That is why I am so confused.
914Magazine
The starter may work on the other car but does the same battery on the suspect car turn over the other car as well? 12 volts is just that, volts. Does it have the required amps to turn the motor over? Also, remove the spark plugs and try again. May be too much compression for the tired battery to overcome but with the plugs out it "should" be much easier to turn over.
esses62
Do you need to shim the starter? How is the ring gear?
atsealevel914
QUOTE (smoyer31 @ Feb 3 2010, 06:55 PM) *
I have just bought this car and cant figure out why it wont start. I have tested the starter and I know that it works fine. I have double checked the ground strap connection from the tranny and the white wires at the back of the engine compartment.

When I turn the key or jump the starter across the terminals it clicks like it is engaging but dosent turn over the engine. I just get a buzzing sound like it trying to turn but doesnt. If I pull it half way out and then wire a ground to the starter case to have a circuit it runs fine and I can see the starter pop out and spins. I have taken a good started out of another working 914 that I have and put it into this car and the same thing happens. I have checked to make sure I have 12 volts from the battery to the starter.
I have pulled the plugs and turned the wheels in gear so I know all pistons are working.

Any other suggestions on why a good starter wouldnt have enough power to turn it over ?

Also the head lights pop up but neither light up. I havent checked the bulbs yet but is there anything else I should check first ?

Thanks for any ideas...I have heard that this series is a good one to have but it is not starting out well

Try anothr battery that you know works. Check for hot wires that are not flowing current well, corrosion on terminals too. those are the basics.
atsealevel914
QUOTE (smoyer31 @ Feb 3 2010, 06:55 PM) *

Make sure battery Is capable first. If it is then hold the key on start for 20 seconds. Check for hot cables which indicate bad terminals corrosion ect.
Carrera916
I'd like to ask you about turning the engine over by putting the gearbox in gear and turn the rear wheel.

You (may) need to chock one of the rear wheels to keep it from turning and shift into fourth or fifth gear, then turn the other wheel, that will transfer the turning power toward the engine and see if the engine actually turns freely. One more thing, can you push and pull the front engine pulley in and out of the engine? If it moves quite a bit, thrust bearing problem can restrict the rotation of the crankshaft at times, especially on a very worn-out engine....

let us know what you find...

j
smoyer31
Thank you all for the ideas.

For the battery power...I removed this issue by using a battery charger and putting it on jump start so I know I am getting full power.

I have removed the spark plugs and did the old straw trick when I did the wheel turning so I can see the all the pistons are rotating. I can also feel the air on the up stroke.

2 of the checks were a little over my head

First
Do you need to shim the starter? How is the ring gear?

You are over my head on these questions. shim the starter ? ring gear ?

Second
One more thing, can you push and pull the front engine pulley in and out of the engine? If it moves quite a bit, thrust bearing problem can restrict the rotation of the crankshaft at times, especially on a very worn-out engine....

what done you mean front engine pulley ?

More ideas the better I have sum time this weekend and I would love to get past this issue.
esses62
The armature on the starter has a gear the engages the ring gear. When you turn the key the starter pops out ant the gear engages the ring gear on the flywheel . When the two gears engage and the starter turns it will in turn rotate the flywheel which turns the motor. If the two gears don't engage or lock up the engine won't turn. Some repro starters need a spacer to shim the starter so the throw of the armature is the proper depth to engage the gears. Also if the teeth on the ring gear are worn broken missing the starter has nothing to bite into.
914Sixer
When all else fails try pulling it to start.
en20914
You mentioned that you had tried a charger with a jump setting but did not take into account that one of the battery cells may be either shorted (providing only 9 or so volts) or somthing else that draws amps from the charger and not providing enough current to the starter. Battery or cables sound like your problem. Did you check the battery ground to the body behind the battery?
ax914
Bypass ground ,place jumper cables on the battery ground and then hook the other end to the starter body. This will eliminate ground problem.
smoyer31
Thank you all for your help !!!

I was able to get it to start by doing the jumper cables from the case to the battery ground.

Even though I have cleaned the ground strap multiple times I will be going out and getting a new one !!!

Bottom line IT LIVES !!!
Brad Roberts
You do know that the car has TWO ground straps? correct? smile.gif

B
smoyer31
I know of the one from the back transmission and the battery to the side of the engine compartment

Is there another ?
Brad Roberts
Just those two smile.gif Replace them both and use a wire brush to clean the area around the M8X1.25 stud.

B
ax914
If it has those battery connections with the wire straps held down buy 2 11mm bolts I would replace them first or clean them. They will start getting loose and heat up causing a lost connection. clap56.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.