IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boxster V8 conversion !!!, Goto last few pages and see the LS1 being fit!!!
Boxster V8 conversion !!!
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 172
Guests cannot vote 
Brad Roberts
post Oct 24 2007, 03:35 PM
Post #1

914 GOD

Group: Members
Member No.: 8

Merican V8 or Cayenne?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

B
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 24 2007, 04:03 PM
Post #2

deactivated user

Member No.: 433

Dum, stoopid and cheep Merican. Can it be done cheap? I would be all over a V8 boxster race car, but I know even 3.4 conversion cars have had running gear failures due to higher power, can you imagine what a V8 would do? Guess things could be reinforced.

But Pepper powerplant would make it legal for PCA and POC events right?

+Quote Post
nocones
post Oct 24 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #3

Sportscar lunatic

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 2,220

Cayenne would be WAY cool, and legal for PCA, etc...
'Merican would likely be less expensive, so more money to put into the chassis.
If the transaxle would hold (isn't that ALWAYS the question?) I think this would make for a bitchen' race car.

+Quote Post
nocones
post Oct 24 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #4

Sportscar lunatic

Also, I thought the Cayenne motor was dimensionally large?

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 24 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #5

914 GOD

Grant,

what are you hearing about the chassis'?? I try to stay in contact with Chris Murry, but in my stress book, he doesnt run the car enough. I'm VERY curious to hear where the chassis is weak (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The Cayenne V8 looks big with all the plastic crap, but it is no bigger than a LS1 once you get it down to just the engine.

B

+Quote Post
nocones
post Oct 24 2007, 05:05 PM
Post #6

Sportscar lunatic

Okay then, next question...
What does one of these engines cost?

+Quote Post
BeyondBad914
post Oct 24 2007, 06:08 PM
Post #7

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

Problem with anything European of any sort is when you go to hot rod the thing... add "hot rod" to the equation and you will find it always = $$. American stuff can be hot rodded much cheaper cuz we are here and parts are plentiful. Guys in Germany can probably pick up all sorts of VW/Porsche hot rod parts at the local speed shop.. here you have to find it on the net, order it shipped from Germany, etc etc. or just simply overpay for it by buying it from a Porsche motorsports shop that imports it.

So I say if you are serious about trying to come up with options, I would look into three frankly. ONce you get one, the other two would be straight forward. 1. Cayenne 2. Mod Motor Ford 3. LS series Chevy Then the transaxle of course won't hold up to any real power, but should hold up to those in "stock" formats for a streeter, like a V8 w/901. Then make an adapter to run the G50 stuff inverted. covers everything else you would probably put to it. cable shifter would easily adapt as it is already there.

Do the LS Chevy first as general population would probably like that one of the 3, then add the other two.

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 24 2007, 07:14 PM
Post #8

deactivated user

Member No.: 433

QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Oct 24 2007, 01:45 PM) *
Grant,

what are you hearing about the chassis'?? I try to stay in contact with Chris Murry, but in my stress book, he doesnt run the car enough. I'm VERY curious to hear where the chassis is weak (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The Cayenne V8 looks big with all the plastic crap, but it is no bigger than a LS1 once you get it down to just the engine.

B

I know some of the earlier 3.4 conversions on early chasis cars prior to 2000 had some running gear issues. Mostly just bearings and bushing wearing more quickly. Cant remeber specific issues that were being posted on those early conversion cars. It may have just been the skill of mechnics doing conversion as well.

Now that I think about it we have some newer conversion cars that seem to be doing just fine.

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 24 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #9

914 GOD

make an adapter to run the G50 stuff inverted.

Forget the G50. They are being sucked up for the kit car market. NOw you have Cobra's with rear mounted G50's ,which is why Mendeola is stepping up with a new mid engine tranny for the street market with multiple bellhousing choices (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

B

+Quote Post
nocones
post Oct 24 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #10

Sportscar lunatic

There's a G50 on Pelican right now for $2250. Wish I had the cash.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=373850

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 24 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #11

914 GOD

Yep, and it appears to have sold in less than 3 hours after posting (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Too bad, I'm about 20min from it right now.

B

+Quote Post
nocones
post Oct 25 2007, 12:59 AM
Post #12

Sportscar lunatic

This is why I need a stash of about $3K set aside for when stuff like this comes up.
Actually I had that not long ago when I thought I had a deal on a 930 box. Too bad that cash went to something more
responsible last month.

+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Oct 25 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #13

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

Will the boxster 6-speed mate up with the Cayenne?

-Britain

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 25 2007, 06:47 PM
Post #14

914 GOD

No. I checked this out over a year ago now. Mendeola said they could make any bellhousing to fit their tranny (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It wouldnt be too diffcult to have something drwan up and made to work between the Cayenne and the Boxster 6 speed.

B

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 25 2007, 06:48 PM
Post #15

914 GOD

The DP team already has the measurements. They had to make an adapter to fit the Cayenne to the Xtrax sequential 6 speed.

B

+Quote Post
BeyondBad914
post Oct 27 2007, 12:56 AM
Post #16

QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Oct 24 2007, 04:55 PM) *

Forget the G50. They are being sucked up for the kit car market. NOw you have Cobra's with rear mounted G50's ,which is why Mendeola is stepping up with a new mid engine tranny for the street market with multiple bellhousing choices (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

B

No shit! That is awesome actually - I have wanted to build a muscle car with a rear mounted transaxle for years now. 'Course by the time I get to it, it will be old news and I will look like a lame follower hahaha.

Mendeola boxes are nice but $$ Hopefully they have the whole LSD thing worked out - I almost argued with them at SEMA a few years back when they told me people don't want that (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) I would have bought a sequential box back then had they had one. They have some bogus f'd up weird LSD thing last I spoke to them. They should simply build a trans with a 930 or G50 turbo-style diff, then it has a known replaceable setup and so forth.

Before I would buy a Mendeola I would hold out for a G50/50 frankly.

Do you have any pix of Cobras with rear mounted transaxles? I saw a Cobra guy putting Corvette setups in the ones he was building (not G50s) and would love to see how they made a G50 work and where they put the clutch, etc. I would use the Corvette stuff on a Mustang fastback but don't want to lose the rear seat, so have been considering a way to use a torque tube with a G50. (way future project)

+Quote Post
jmmotorsports
post Oct 27 2007, 08:35 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 6,658

QUOTE (byndbad914 @ Oct 26 2007, 09:56 PM) *
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Oct 24 2007, 04:55 PM) *

B

No shit! That is awesome actually - I have wanted to build a muscle car with a rear mounted transaxle for years now. 'Course by the time I get to it, it will be old news and I will look like a lame follower hahaha.

Mendeola boxes are nice but $$ Hopefully they have the whole LSD thing worked out - I almost argued with them at SEMA a few years back when they told me people don't want that (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) I would have bought a sequential box back then had they had one. They have some bogus f'd up weird LSD thing last I spoke to them. They should simply build a trans with a 930 or G50 turbo-style diff, then it has a known replaceable setup and so forth.

Before I would buy a Mendeola I would hold out for a G50/50 frankly.

Do you have any pix of Cobras with rear mounted transaxles? I saw a Cobra guy putting Corvette setups in the ones he was building (not G50s) and would love to see how they made a G50 work and where they put the clutch, etc. I would use the Corvette stuff on a Mustang fastback but don't want to lose the rear seat, so have been considering a way to use a torque tube with a G50. (way future project)

What about a 928 transaxel? It would be a fairly easy setup in a Mustang and all adapters are avalible from KEP or Renegane.

Jerry

+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 27 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #18

Yoda Pickering -- 914 Jedi Knight

Member No.: 287

SBC...all the way....

I had a 350 SBC built for JLO with 380HP, roller rockers, the works....less than $5K...

Bill P.

+Quote Post
BeyondBad914
post Oct 27 2007, 01:03 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (jmmotorsports @ Oct 27 2007, 04:35 AM) *
What about a 928 transaxel? It would be a fairly easy setup in a Mustang and all adapters are avalible from KEP or Renegane.

Jerry

My understanding is they can't take a lot of power either. At least that is what I have heard (no personal experience with them). When I first saw the way those cars were set up, I thought it was awesome. Then in the 90s when the Vette went to the rear transaxle, I just knew I had to do something with my 70 Mustang Fastback.

Then I realized being a mechanic is back-breaking work, sold the Mustang to pay for college, had driven a friend's Pantera... so here I am with a V8 914 and an engineering degree (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) Best investment ever made with that mustang was selling it for school hahaha.

Anyway, the Mustang I would want to build would be a 440cube SBF with most likely a screwcharger (tho' maybe turbos) and most of your kit car guys build big power too, so a weak Porsche rear trans won't work in those situations.

+Quote Post
ajracer
post Oct 27 2007, 09:56 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,945

Got my Vote !!

That was easy since I already have a 914 V8 with a five speed Boxster tranny
and have been driving it for about two years now. Including mainly street but
some track event here in Ontario. But maybe looking for a top end over 130MPH
thus considering optional final drive ratios; which I understand maybe a challenge
since no one race Boxster of offered aftermarket gears. Seems of recent someone
mentioned German Transaxle fo America was working on some mid-engine tranny
for the kit car market, but will need to contact them and obtain some info or progress
on the project to see if optional gears are actually available. Happy Motoring !

Allan
Toronto, ON Canada

+Quote Post

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 23, 2019 - 01:28 AM