IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tell us about your track or a/x experience level., Or your goals...
DaveE
post Aug 15 2006, 09:06 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,870

I have only auto-crossed once, in my 911SC last year. I did somewhat pitiful times honestly. I am into road racing, SCCA Club Racing. I raced a BMW 2002 in SCCA ITB from 2000 thru 2003, ran 28 races, then couldn't get my license renewed due to blood pressure issues. I ran mostly at Summit Point but ran a double race weekend at VIR and raced at Watkins Glen twice. I have my license again (just got renewed!!) and plan to run the last race at Summit Point this season in the '02 and run the whole season next year. My long range plan is to build a production car. I'm still deciding between an FProd 914 or an FProd 912. I have one of each in my barn, both needing a bit of work.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 15 2006, 02:15 PM
Post #22

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

My first was in May 1985 my Senior year of High school. Ford was taking the then semi new Tempo around and letting high school kids flog the living (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) out of it. I signed up, and drove the wheels off of it. Came in third and won $50 for my efforts.

But that washy car hooked me, soon after I was running a Dodge Omni - mine had a VW 1.7L in it, which gave way to a GTI 1.8L, and Dad was nice enough to buy the factory sport suspension. Made for a semi fun run. Once I got out of college I got hooked up with a bunch of local 914 people, the leaders where Jon and Nancy Lowe. I worked for a company associated with Nancy, latter she became my boss. So it fit well, did a PCA Parade, I had a VW Fox at this point, remembering running the Parade auto-x in the Fox after the timed runs where done, and putting the smack down on most of the P-class cars that ran that day. Only beat by a couple of 914s, hey somebody had to test the timing and scoring setup.

Never driven a big track, been auto-xing for 21 years. But have ridden a lot of seat time on the Big tracks, and built a couple of PCA J-class racers in my time. Never drove a single one of them, at the track.

Okay here is the sad part of the tail - I have been working on 914s since I was 9 years old when Dad brought home a 914-6. This is the first season I have had a 914 together long enough to drive at an auto-x.

But I a loving every minute of it. (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Aug 16 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #23

914 addicted

Member No.: 1,246

I ran an AX at Marina in 04 in my 914 with my son. He posted better times than me. My door flew open during a run and broke the limiter strap. We really had fun with our shitty 1.7L. I put that car into the shop for engine tranny rebuild that may now 2 years later actually be finished. In the meantime I ran Infineon AX in a 78 911SC and a Boxster S. I ran Candlestick AX with the same cars. The I ran my first track day at Sears in the rain in the SC. FUN, but my son spun his Mom's Boxster S (no physical damage) and I couldn't focus the rest of the day. I ran Santa Rosa AX in a 04 C4S (woohoo!) with my son in Mom's Boxster and that was my last event. I am going to try and make Marina in late august in my risen from the ashes 914.

+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Aug 16 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #24

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

I raced motorcycles from 1988 to 1992, and sucked at it. My highest finish was 2nd place, and I was lapped by the winner (who was 13 years old, half my size, had a bike worth 10x mine, and went on to be a National champion). A 90mph collarbone breaking collision was my 2nd from last event, and I hung it up.

My first AX was in 1990, in a Honda CRX Si that was just weeks old. The event was held in in the parking lot of a Harpoon missile assembly plant by the McDonnell-Douglas Sports Car Club (yes, the company had an internal club). This is St. Louis, MO. That year, I must have run 20 events, mostly held by the two SCCA regions (St. Louis and Southern IL) that ran AXes there, along with a few more McDonnell events. I ran probably 16-20 events per year after that until 1994, mostly in the CRX, some in a 1985 Toyota MR2, some in a 1985 Mazda RX-7. Several class wins, and one regional title (St. Louis region).

I did do a number of open track days on bikes in the late 90s, after I moved to California, and have run at Laguna, Sears Pt, Thunderhill (short course, the back half was still dirt then), and Willow Springs (big track).

I have never driven a car on a full track (AXes set up on tracks don't count), nor have I ever driven a 914 at an AX. The latter I intend to cure post my 6 conversion. The former I don't have a lot of interest in. Too much car prep required, and my bike days convinced me of street or track, but not both, from any vehicle. I have zero desire to get a tow truck and a trailer.

Karts, however, I may end up doing...(beyond the indoor stuff).

+Quote Post
tac27
post Oct 3 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 6,987

I've only completed one PCA DE, but that was enough to catch the bug. My Dad used to race SCCA in So. California and it didn't take much to convince ourselves we needed to find a car we could track. We were fortunate enough to find a 914 that the owner was willing to sell at what we consider a very reasonable price. We are now in the process of figuring our what we need to do to it, what is allowed, what 'class' in which we will race. I've removed the engine and I am disassembling it; Dad is repairing the body and stripping down the cab.

So any advice will be greatly appreciated. We are based out of Las Vegas and Southern Utah; we haven't heard of much amateur racing in our area so we are thinking to participate in the So. California and Phoenix tracks.

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 10 2006, 08:10 PM
Post #26

914 GOD

Member No.: 8

I attended my first AutoX a few weeks back with San Diego region PCA at Qualcomm stadium.

I like it. I think I will try it again :D

B (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
Rough_Rider
post Oct 16 2006, 06:23 PM
Post #27

Smurf Zone

Member No.: 2,547

My turn.....

This year is my 2nd season, best finish 3rd overall in PCA, since mid-season top 5's in PCA. IMO last year didn't count as car wasn't working right, Made for low key learning running in the mid-pack.

Next year goals, win SCCA regional SM2. Finish in top 5 at every PCA event entered. Run at least one national tour event.

Now its off to fix the car (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

+Quote Post
nocones
post Oct 30 2006, 08:03 PM
Post #28

Sportscar lunatic

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 2,220

Grew up enamored with my Unlces 73' 240Z (Original owner, always autoX'd). I got myself a 240Z at 16 (this was 95') and started autoXing with the Empire Sports Car Assn., the SF region SCCA, and the American AutoX Series. Learned a lot in that car. Also ran many events co-driving with my Uncle in his Z. I only ran one or two events on street tires before switching to slicks. Never looked back.
I helped my Dad put together a 66' Beetle several years ago when he wanted to give it a try. That was a fun little car to drive too.
A couple of autoX schools, a skip barber open wheel school, a few go-kart sessions, and as much seat time as I could get.
Now I've been on hiatus for most of the past two years. I got a little burnt (and broke) trying to build my current 240Z to the edge of the FP class limits in hopes of getting to the nationals. Spent some of that off-time racing last season in SuperMoto. I'm hoping to be back at autoX this next year, if not in the Z, then with my 914/8.
So I guess that's around 10 or 11 years, give or take.

+Quote Post
cali914
post Nov 19 2006, 12:28 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 5,934

11-18-06 I ran thunderhill today and had a blast. I never had an official time at thunderhill, so my cousin tricked me and put a transponder in his car. I thought I was anywhere between 210 and 214. My cousin drove my car and ran a 214. He is a lot better driver than me so i assumed I was doomed. After a Wrx came by me with 331 at the rear wheels I got mad and blew by him on the straight. I kept pushing the car thinking I was walking away from him each corner. Little did I know he was all up my a// after watching the video. My cousin brought the sheet in and to everybody's suprise I ran a 2:06. Now I am pumped up and ready to make major suspension mods to my car. Thanks Bill for giving me advice on the sway bars, torsion bars, and spring rates. HC (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

+Quote Post
RobW
post Dec 8 2006, 04:48 AM
Post #30

Rob

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 81

With 53% of grad school done and a 3.8 GPA, I'm thinking of slacking off a bit and showing up again at PCA events. Who's out there and running these days??

+Quote Post
diln911
post Jan 9 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 7,451

My Porsche disease began probably in 1985 when I met one of my dear friends Bob Beasley. Beasley and I met through a mutual friend while we were riding motorcycles, and developed a friendship. Bob is one of these guys that I wish I had for a dad. We shared so many common interests in the bikes and it wasnt for a while that I realized how involved he was in Porsches. For years Bob ran a 74 IROC RSR pretty much all over, numerous showings at Daytona and everywhere else. I started racing motorcycles because of him and did that until very recently. I dont think it really hit home until I was at VIR one weekend with the bikes and went in the little shop there, and every Porsche book I picked up had his name in the index somewhere. It was pretty cool. My whole Porsche career Ive always had 911's, wasnt until the last year or so that I bought a couple of 914's, two 2.0 liters, a 73 and a 74. I was fortunate to meet so many cool people through my friendship with Bob over the years like Dave Coleman and Jack Lewis and Scrogham and others, that have been such a wealth of knowledge for me. I spent a couple of summers working with Glen Krynock in Richmond at Krynock Porsche learning there as well. My first 911 was a 73S, and many have followed from short wheelbase cars to an 85 carerra. Probably 15 or so over the years. I definately found home in the early cars, didnt care too much for the 3.2s and the 3.0 liters....... too heavy and comfort oriented, but the 2.0 and 2.4 sixes have sort of become my specialty. I enjoyed building the 914s, both of course are just street cars. I did a case splitting build on both of them. Little stuff like a Webcam street cam and some webcam lifters, 97mm jugs, 44 weber conversion and some other things, but Ive been having a lot of fun with them. Certainly easier to put one of those together, no cams to time. I kind of enjoyed it.

Anyway, not much racing experience with the cars, Ive always bought them and restored them and sold them before I kept one too long, although I did some VMSC autocrossing with the Virginia Motorsports Club and a couple of DE's at Summit Point in my 911's. I also spent quite a bit of time working on Triumphs too, so far a 59 TR3A, and 70 TR6 and a hot little 80 TR8. It got to be fun enough that I started a little restoration business, mostly just restoring 911's predominantly and building fun little street cars that are relatively affordable. People seem to enjoy them. Ive got a 66 Healey 3000 MkIII BJ8 car on the block right now, but I kept the 914s and still enjoy them.

I would love to get more in the PCA stuff. Ive been a member since the early 80s. Id love to do some more stuff with them, Summit and VIR are only about two hours away from me. Any suggestions on where to begin?

Thanks for your help.

Jim Courtney
JE & Associates
Richmond VA

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Feb 20 2007, 01:41 AM
Post #32

914 GOD

Jim,

did anyone contact you offline about helping you out? I know quite a few people in that area that would be more than happy to help you out and point you in the right direction.

B

+Quote Post
Blood red 914-6g...
post Jun 6 2007, 01:20 AM
Post #33

I like toys

Member No.: 6,884

So my very first time auto crossing was in 2004. I was working at a mechanic shop that the owner has a 911 RSA and one of the techs has a 71 914 Euro 2.0l. I was offered to drive the 914 for the season and took him up on it. It was a blast to learn and drive. The best part is that over the season I ended up with more points than the owner :D. I can actually say that I am now addicted to 914s. I have owned four of them so far, and I plan on adding to that soon.

+Quote Post
chilli
post Jul 15 2007, 10:46 PM
Post #34

Older Than Dirt :-)

Member No.: 3,805

(IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Gads do I really have to say, OK, autox started in 1975, and also Participated in SECA SOLO I & II. won class at SECA II. Remember those days, short course. No real run off. Then continued with autox and DE. Spent numerous years with the GGR time trail series. Working not running. But I think some of days had more track time in my diesel blazer than did the participants. Have to ask around on that.

Continue now days with a few Autox events. And maybe let it fly at parade if the ice cream social does not conflict.

I still enjoy the camaraderie's of it all.

+Quote Post
chilli
post Jul 15 2007, 10:49 PM
Post #35

Older Than Dirt :-)

Member No.: 3,805

QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Oct 10 2006, 05:10 PM) *
I attended my first AutoX a few weeks back with San Diego region PCA at Qualcomm stadium.

I like it. I think I will try it again :D

B (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Brad, not a typical autox. San Diego has the priemer site. we used to have cal expor and put on similar "long" events.

mike

+Quote Post
9146rob
post Sep 20 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 10,454

First autocross was July 2007 and another in August. First 914 I've ever had, bought it off ebay/just took a gamble, looked like a fun car and it is! With a Mitsubishi Eclipse I did a track day at Laguna Seca a few years back and did some drag racing in Florida and Alabama in 2003.

+Quote Post
Krote6
post Nov 8 2007, 09:11 PM
Post #37

Krote6

Member No.: 12,564

As I turn on my way back machine

I first autocrossed a 1969 MG Midget at Duel at DeAnza in 1975. I also did some NCSCC (northern califronia sports car council) events at Plesanton Fairgrounds in 1975 thru 1976. I was then away in the Airforce from 1976 till 1980. I started back into Autocrossing with a Mazda RX7 GLS SE Back at the Fairgrounds in Plesanton from 1983 till 1984. I was away from the sport till 1988 when I Bought my First Porsche. It was a 1973 911T Targa. I joined PCA in the Fall of 1988. Ran my first full season with Golden Gate Region in 1989. I came in Second in class to David Kimes who had the same exact type of car. I then Shared a Stock 914-6 with Bobby Crookshank in 1990 and won both GGR region championship and the Zone 7 Title in that car. (Brad Lots of stories with that car). I then Bought my own 914 at the end of 1990. It was a 1974 limited edition 914 2.0. It was in rough shape and I Just started to put it back to racing shape when it got stolen. For 1991 I raced a 1979 911 SC for the year and Won its class in GGR and Zone 7. At the end of 1991 I was out shopping for another 914 when the Santa Clara Police called us the very day I almost bought another 914. They had Recovered the car in a sting operation and I got it back in almost as good as shape as when it got stolen. The car was fixed with all the small things wrong and repainted in a Sunaco 917-30 paint scheme. My wife KC and I entered into the Golden Gate Time trials series for the first time in 1991 and won Rookie of the year honors. We both finished every weekend with no issues. I came in second place that year in Autocrossing to Curtis Robertson and was chased all year by Steve Neislony. I Qualified in 1992 to be a Time Trial Instructor and entered all events in the old BP class and never Trophied but was taught many lessons of how to drive by all the great teachers in GGR. As a 4 banger I was outclassed but only having a stock Engine. When it came time to rebuild the engine I got a GREAT Deal on a 2.0 911S six. I spent the winter of 1994-5 converting the car over and Ran the car for one year as a narrow body car. Class wins in FM in both GGR and Zone 7 those years. the next year I put on GT flares and 7 and 8 inch Fuchs. I went undefeated in Time trials and Autocrossing in my class with that configuation from 1996 till 1999 and even won the SCCA A Production class in autocrossing in 1999. At one time I held Class records at Laguna Seca,Thunderhill, and Buttonwillow.

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 8 2007, 09:16 PM
Post #38

914 GOD

I then Shared a Stock 914-6 with Bobby Crookshank in 1990

Did he end up in Tennessee? Serious question (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

B

+Quote Post
Krote6
post Nov 8 2007, 09:20 PM
Post #39

Krote6

I then sold the car to Gabe Szlay in southern Calif at the end of 2000. In 2000 I acquired a Black Ford Focus and took a full year running that car in the H Stock class in SCCA Regional and National Tour events. I was undefeated for the year till I got my Butt Handed to me at the Topeka Nationals. Still an experince I suggest everyone to try. In 2001 I bought a 1974 911s that was converted to and Carrera. It was in rough shape and had been thru an engine fire. I took a year to put it back to shape. The First year I had it running right I had to learn how to drive a 911 all over agian. I took it to a few Track days during the year and did run enough events to be competitive in any series. In 2003 I ran it full time in GGR events taking home first place in Class Ji. In 2004 I won my first ever Pax Championship in GGR with the car in class GX. In Zone 7 competition I have taken home the Pax Championship from 2005 till 2007 and also in 2007 won the GGR Pax Championship as well.

+Quote Post
Krote6
post Nov 8 2007, 09:21 PM
Post #40

Krote6

QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Nov 8 2007, 05:16 PM) *
I then Shared a Stock 914-6 with Bobby Crookshank in 1990

Did he end up in Tennessee? Serious question (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

B

The last i talked to Bobby was around two years ago and he was living in Modesto

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 21, 2019 - 11:33 AM