Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 wins GT2 class at Chasing the Tail
jockellis
post Jun 27 2013, 11:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,798

A 914 driven by Bob Saville is the victor in the GT2 class at the Chasing the Dragon 4 Hillclimb over 12 seconds faster than his nearest competitor, a Datsun 240Z.
Saville, driving the Papa Smurf blue 914, clocked a 133.729 second run on his fourth of five attempts at the 2.2-mile course on a county road. He turned a 147.459 for his first run then followed it with times of 136.294 and 134.086 before his fourth run. The final trip up the mountain brought a 134.520 time. Nadine Saville was fourth in the same car, with a 153.704 time on her fifth run, besting her next best by 10 seconds.
Two 944s and a 911 took the top three spots among five competitors in the Improved Touring S class. Jeremy Cox, in the Barber Raceworks car, had a best of 132.258 seconds for the win, about 1.2 seconds better than the 914 previously reported. Joel Barber, in the same car, was second at137.219. The only rear-engined Porsche, entered by the Vintage Boys Club, clocked a 139.05 to beat a Mercury Cougar by nearly 1.8 seconds. A Datsun 280Z did not start.
The fastest Porsche up the hill was the Corvette powered "948" which was driven by Chris Porter and finished fifth in the eight car Street Unlimited class.
Most of the competitors were from the Central Carolinas Region, SCCA, although at least one came from as far away as Decatur, IL for his one hill climb of the year.
This Graham County-maintained road in the Joyce Kilmer National Forest has rock cuts on the up mountain side of the road and steel barriers for the entire distance on the road and offers a safe competition venue for SCCA, PCA, BMW clubs and others. The county puts out the welcome mat for car enthusiasts and the thousands of motorcyclists who ride The Tail of the Dragon.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Racer Chris
post Jun 28 2013, 08:13 AM
Post #2

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 209

Nice report, thanks!

+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Jul 3 2013, 08:13 PM
Post #3

Creamsicle project DD

Member No.: 18,525

Here are some shots of Papa Smurf at the hillclimb from Saturday. Sunday, I think Bob had one run and something happened so he opted to not run the rest of the day.

I agree with you about the signage... not very noticeable. More than once I found myself wondering if I was on the correct road.

I heard they will run another climb in August. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Jul 4 2013, 06:54 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,985

Well done, Bob (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
jockellis
post Jul 11 2013, 09:07 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,798

Thanks for the photos. The only glimpse of Bob I got was that one from the left rear after coming down from his last one. Papa Smurf is a 6, BTW.
Chasing the Dragon runs again Aug. 3&4. Great course. It isn't anything like the YouTube videos in my estimation but those were taken with wide angle menses to increase depth of field and it also increases apparent speed.

+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 4 2014, 02:04 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 750

QUOTE (jockellis @ Jun 27 2013, 08:45 PM) *
A 914 driven by Bob Saville is the victor in the GT2 class at the Chasing the Dragon 4 Hillclimb over 12 seconds faster than his nearest competitor, a Datsun 240Z.
Saville, driving the Papa Smurf blue 914, clocked a 133.729 second run on his fourth of five attempts at the 2.2-mile course on a county road. He turned a 147.459 for his first run then followed it with times of 136.294 and 134.086 before his fourth run. The final trip up the mountain brought a 134.520 time. Nadine Saville was fourth in the same car, with a 153.704 time on her fifth run, besting her next best by 10 seconds.
Two 944s and a 911 took the top three spots among five competitors in the Improved Touring S class. Jeremy Cox, in the Barber Raceworks car, had a best of 132.258 seconds for the win, about 1.2 seconds better than the 914 previously reported. Joel Barber, in the same car, was second at137.219. The only rear-engined Porsche, entered by the Vintage Boys Club, clocked a 139.05 to beat a Mercury Cougar by nearly 1.8 seconds. A Datsun 280Z did not start.
The fastest Porsche up the hill was the Corvette powered "948" which was driven by Chris Porter and finished fifth in the eight car Street Unlimited class.
Most of the competitors were from the Central Carolinas Region, SCCA, although at least one came from as far away as Decatur, IL for his one hill climb of the year.
This Graham County-maintained road in the Joyce Kilmer National Forest has rock cuts on the up mountain side of the road and steel barriers for the entire distance on the road and offers a safe competition venue for SCCA, PCA, BMW clubs and others. The county puts out the welcome mat for car enthusiasts and the thousands of motorcyclists who ride The Tail of the Dragon.

I just saw this hillclimb posting, so my comment is better late than never! Congratulations Bob for taking the GT2 Class. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

If you have any video would sure like to see your run.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 24, 2019 - 02:14 PM