10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 ls1 turbo build thread, a thread from the start
returf
post Aug 15 2012, 05:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,233

A couple of years ago I needed a project and started looking for something i could build into a midmounted track car or even a certified road car. A rather untidy looking 914 appeared on trademe in the south island (NZ) The car had been part of a consignment of vehicles that had been imported and the chap had a few difficulties and they ended up being auctioned off. I purchased the car six or eight months later and had it delivered up to the North Island for a couple of hundred dollars more than i paid for the car. I had just sold a lotus seven replica sports car so went to see a friend about starting the 914 project

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
returf
post Aug 15 2012, 05:57 AM
Post #2

Well the thing i did wrong was to go to his work with all this money in my pocket, as there in the corner of his shop lay another of my childhood dream cars, an e type jaguar. ten minutes later I owned the jag and had no money left to move on the 914. So it was back to my shed and find a place for the 914 to stay for the next wee while until I could finish the e type
Attached Image

I cobbled together a good ole four poster to sit the 914 on and there it stayed for 18 months
Attached Image

With the Jaguar finished it was time to bring the 914 down
Attached Image

+Quote Post
returf
post Aug 15 2012, 06:24 AM
Post #3

I spent some time looking at pictures of great looking 914's on google images and in particular the wide body race cars the likes of Sheridans and papa smurf. I printed a couple of photo's out and stuck them to the door for inspiration
Attached Image

Now down here in New Zealand Porsche six cylinder engines are very hard to get and when they become available you have to pay mega dollars for them so It was an easy decision to go the v6 or v8 path. For no other reason than locality and price I purchased an ls1 , computer and engine loom for the project.
After the first cut of sheet-metal things got a bit easier and before I knew it the motor fitted in the hole!!
Attached Image

About this time i started thinking about gearboxes. Again Porsche boxes are hellish dear if you can find them so I found a Renault UN1 as that's what one of our local car builders uses behind his Lexus v8 powered lambo kit cars. Next step was to fabricate a good sounding exhaust

What a way to waste time and money but man the sound was awesome.
Attached thumbnail(s)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
db9146
post Aug 15 2012, 09:44 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,315

Wow, you've got a couple of nice projects there. How about posting a couple of pics of the finished Jag? I like E-types and the Minilites look great on it.

What did the Renault UN1 come out of? I've never heard of that transmission. Its must be rated for some pretty good torque if you're putting it behind an LS1.

+Quote Post
returf
post Aug 15 2012, 02:32 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (db9146 @ Aug 16 2012, 03:44 AM) *
Wow, you've got a couple of nice projects there. How about posting a couple of pics of the finished Jag? I like E-types and the Minilites look great on it.

What did the Renault UN1 come out of? I've never heard of that transmission. Its must be rated for some pretty good torque if you're putting it behind an LS1.
Attached Image

Attached Image

the un1 trans comes out of the Renault 25gtx. they are fairly strong boxes and pretty inexpensive ( 3-500 $ ) they will hold up to 350 ft/lbs ok with over 400 hp

However!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
returf
post Aug 15 2012, 02:52 PM
Post #6

cont-However!!!!
My son came out to the shed one night and said" the dollars high dad, wouldn't this go good with a turbo? " Good on ya boy. Two weeks later a package arrives with a lovely big hair drier inside. And this is what i mean in my previous post about a waste of time and money fabricating those crossover headers

Now this poses the next hurdle to overcome. It will definitely destroy the Renault box. Maybe if I just drive it gently I fleetingly thought! yea right.
Porsche boxes are'nt getting any cheaper. but wait! what about the six speed subaru box? the track boys are getting huge hp to the ground around the world. The hunt was on and i started looking around the local area. Luckily a bloke a few kms away makes the Saker Sports cars and converts the 4wd subaru boxes to 2wd for his cars and pointed me in the direction of a very low km 6 speed.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
returf
post Aug 15 2012, 03:45 PM
Post #7

Next on the agenda was to organise a clutch , pressure plate and flywheel for the now somewhat increased power level expected.I got on to a bloke in Auckland that races high powered Subarus and is a very clever engineer and between the two of us ( that is me measuring and him making) he came back with a flywheel of beauty
Attached Image
This was cnc'd out of chrome moly and then gear cut and hardened. absolutely brilliant job from midway motorsports thanks Jase!

+Quote Post
db9146
post Aug 15 2012, 04:07 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,315

BEAUTIFUL E-type!!! Love it. Mean and classy at the same time.

Yea, I've read a number of posts where guys are buying up the Saker parts to convert the more readily available 4WD Subaru boxes into 2WD for mid-engine use. I've been thinking about using one behind a 3.6 Porsche. The G50 Porsche transaxles are too expensive and you have to run them inverted. That's why I was asking about the UN1.

You are absolutely right on the flywheel.

I'll be watchin' your progress!!!!!

+Quote Post
returf
post Aug 16 2012, 12:07 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (db9146 @ Aug 16 2012, 10:07 AM) *
BEAUTIFUL E-type!!! Love it. Mean and classy at the same time.

Yea, I've read a number of posts where guys are buying up the Saker parts to convert the more readily available 4WD Subaru boxes into 2WD for mid-engine use. I've been thinking about using one behind a 3.6 Porsche. The G50 Porsche transaxles are too expensive and you have to run them inverted. That's why I was asking about the UN1.

You are absolutely right on the flywheel.

I'll be watchin' your progress!!!!!

Dave Short here uses the un1 in his lambo replica's with really wide tyres and 1400kg car. As i said he runs about 400 hp through a supercharged 1uz toyota v8 and with road driving and no crazy dumping of the clutch it lives quite happily.

+Quote Post
returf
post Aug 16 2012, 12:26 AM
Post #10

Right, the next thing that needed to be taken care of was an adapter plate for the Subie box to mate to the LS1. this proved not to be a big deal but care was needed to drill the holes in the right place. a piece of 20mm steel was profile cut, cleaned up, marked, checked and drilled.
Attached Image

then install the clutch and pressure plate and bring them together. Look who's watching the progress, lil ole e type.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
returf
post Aug 16 2012, 12:47 AM
Post #11

with the engine and gearbox mounted together it was time to move on with mounting the other necessary bits like intercooler and pipework[attachment

gazing upward it became obvious that there might be a small problem with axle alignment and then there's the issue of 4 stud hubs and average brakes in the rear. mmm what to do?? the approach I had to take was fix the whole lot at once sooo.
replace the hub with that from a wrx front setup, cut the trailing arm off at the tube and extend it by 90mm rearward and 60mm outward. done!! Now I can use standard length subaru axles that have the right alignment, bolt on the vented front rotors off any high performance Subaru and adapt 4 piston calipers.
]
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
returf
post Aug 16 2012, 04:54 AM
Post #12

At about this time I decided that the e type thing had run it's course and put it on the market. Because I had done some very bad things to the e type like fitting a 302 windsor v8 and toyota 5 speed box, eliminating all the things jag lovesr desire in their e type ( oil leaks) the jaguar purists were'nt lining up to buy it. Instead a sharp eyed gentleman from Australia spotted it and travelled the distance to purchase it. Now I had all this money to spend on the project car where would i start??
Attached Image

why am I such an impulsive person when I've got money

+Quote Post
returf
post Aug 16 2012, 06:01 AM
Post #13

About this time I am starting to stare blankly at the project when I get a visit from a mate of mine that had started as a tutor in Motorsport. One thing led to another and he made the suggestion that his students could benefit from something a little out of the ordinary to develop their skills as motorsport fabricators. Well impulsive I may be but supportive of the need to foster young minds I am also! This also meant I now had timelines to meet with regard to the mechanicals and Brent set me up with a whiteboard list of things to get done before their term started. I had to purchase a set of adjustable coil overs and some new struts and hubs for the front. Seeing as we now have 5 stud hubs for the rear we might as well have 5 studs for the front. I got a set of nissan sylvia uprights that had GTR discs adapted to them. 325mm vented rotors and 4 piston calipers ought to stop this little sucker!!Attached Image
My son had being doing a lot of study on suspension so has been advising me as to the correct setup for steering arms, bottom arms and control arms ( seems a little odd really, all these years he's never listened to me but now I'm supposed to listen and do whatever he says )
Another of my friends was in around the same time and looking at the car he stated "it looks just like an rx7 to me front on" followed by " give jonesy a ring he has an old GT1 front lying around that has had a biff, it might fit" Well he wasn't too far wrong as it happens

Attached Image

+Quote Post
returf
post Aug 16 2012, 06:27 AM
Post #14

Master cylinders, brake lines were next on the agenda. After a quite bizarre quest of trying to re-invent the braking system I came to my senses and succumbed to a willwood hung pedal box complete with brake bias. Does any one else out there in project land waste time and money trying to save money?? arrghAttached Image

So the list got shorter and eventually the car was needed over at UCOL Motorsport to get things happening. Brent wanted me to drive the car into their workshop under it's own power

http://youtu.be/yvJUXGMwowk

so this is the sunday before d:)

+Quote Post
returf
post Aug 17 2012, 03:12 AM
Post #15

So to recap so far: engine, gearbox, axles, brakes, suspension; Everything's All Sorted!! well not quite! What about shifter, throttle, radiator to get this thing driving. Now many of you guys wont understand this, but i've been driving for forty years with a gear shift on the left hand side of my left leg and doing the steering thing with one strong right arm. All of this training isn't about to go west so I just moved the seat over a little to the right and tucked a cable shifter between the seat and drivers door. So at this stage we get interrupted buy my son who starts pointing out that to go fast in this world we must consider aerodynamics. Silly old me, I just thought you added horsepower. Now we're talking of things like full length undertray, splitters and diffusers!! not to mention wings kaynards and a few other foreign words. Ok Ok hows this for a start
Attached Image

+Quote Post
returf
post Aug 17 2012, 11:34 PM
Post #16

The big day arrives for me to take the 914 to start getting the cage done ( man this really makes me laugh as you will see ) I front up and all the students come out to meet and see what their next project may be. I explained the concept and what the end result should be (a GT2 car for a start ie something to compete with quite fast evo's and the like). I turned around for a moment and look what they had done
Attached Image

so I thought I had better chain myself to the motor to keep track of it
Attached Image

but No!! that did'nt stop the little beggars

+Quote Post
returf
post Aug 17 2012, 11:46 PM
Post #17

Attached Image

Oh well it's another day tomorrow. I wonder what that will bring??

+Quote Post
returf
post Aug 18 2012, 12:04 AM
Post #18

It's amazing what constitutes stripping a car ready for a cage means!!! I turn up the next day and caught the boys stealing the underseal!!

No I should'nt be so mean. These guys are doing a fabulous job to meet with their tutors standards. Everything has now been removed and the plan is to get the shell blasted

with the underseal gone the only small bit of rust can be measured for a plate to repair and strengthen. Not too bad for a 73 car really
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
returf
post Aug 18 2012, 03:34 AM
Post #19

With the body ready it was delivered to one of my good friends that owns Supreme Blast and Paint in Palmerston North for the sandblasting. All the Work that the ucol boys did removing everything meant the body could be lifted by three people comfortably. Wouldn't it be great if you could magically strap the powerplant in and go racing with this weight!!
Attached Image

While the body was getting blasted the boys had no rest with the paint getting stripped from the doors, bonnet and boot (well that's what we call each opening down here. but in the case of the 914 it should have been the boot and bonnet if we start from the front I suppose?

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
returf
post Aug 18 2012, 03:49 AM
Post #20

Now I've known Darryl the sandblaster for 50 years. We met at school and are still good friends. He races cars as well, in fact he races anything he touches so I suppose it shouldn't have been a surprise to get the Porsche back the very next morning all clean and etch primed. I reckon he looked at me and thought I better get it done quick, as he might run out of time and courage to pilot this damn thing. Anyway, thanks buddy
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 21, 2019 - 11:33 AM