> Stuck in Gear, Gearbox, Racing
penp
post Jun 5 2012, 05:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,350

Hey guys,

My 914 race car is sticking into gear.

First time it happened I was in a race and it stuck in neutral. This was after making a pretty forceful upshift right after cresting (and making a hard right) on an off-camber hill - one rear tire was definitely underloaded - probably should have waited a few seconds to make that shift...

I had a reputable P shop look at it. They put it on the lift, took off side trans cover, claim they did nothing at all, but that the car mysteriously started shifting again. (They also checked the entire shift linkage - which was fine.)

Well, I took it on the track and after a couple laps, it stuck again this time in gear. In the pits, a friend showed me how to take off the side cover and lever the shift forks over manually with a screwdriver to get unstuck. So I drove it again - but it stuck again. So I took the cover off, levered the shift rods to neutral all by myself ... and put the car on the trailer.

So something definitely needs to be repaired. Does this sound like the "goes into two gears" at once problem I've hear about? Bent shift forks or something?

Bottom line: if I take this to a shop, is this a repair that can be done with the trans in the car and they remove the side over and the rear cover, and do their thing, or does the entire trans have to come out of the car?

Thanks...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: February 22, 2019 - 04:50 PM