IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First timer, Want to know what I'm getting into before I jump!
RdeC
post Aug 30 2017, 02:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,162

Hi all- am looking for some tips & hints as to how to get into the hobby without killing myself or my budget. I am closing in on retirement, and have a small VA disability check, so my life-long desire to own an aircooled 911 Carrera with the tea tray and crazy billboard lettering has become untenable- have ya seen the prices on those things lately?!
I have been a traditional Beetle guy in the past, having finished a Cal-look '70 with a 1915cc and aftermarket ragtop and a basket case Baja wide eye with a 1835cc (stinger! Zoomy! tickets!), so I am a bit familiar with the flat four from busses and bugs, and I had a roomie decades ago in college who delivered Domino's in a Saturn yellow 914 and whined 'cuz he didn't make tips...
So, what do I need to read, who do I talk to, and what do I look for when I go shopping? I'm not all that interested in concours correct collector cars, nor do I plan to track with any regularity, so I'm open to suggestions for a nice driver that won't break me.
Thanks for the help!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Aug 30 2017, 07:41 PM
Post #2

Creamsicle project DD

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,525

Look for rust and then look for rust. After that, be sure to look for rust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

You should be able to find a nice daily driver 914 in the $8-12k range. If you're lucky (or patient), you might find for less.
In the long run, it is less expensive to buy a nicer, non rusty 914 than to buy a less expensive 914 that needs work - especially if you need to pay someone else to do the work.

Check the FOR SALE forums here, on 914world.com, thesamba.com, ebay and Craigslist to get an idea of price range. If interested in a 914 not in your local area, be sure to have a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done by someone who knows 914s.

Good luck in your search. 914s are a blast to drive and fun to tinker on.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
Dr. 914
post Sep 5 2017, 03:36 PM
Post #3

Dr. 914

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20,846

unfortunately all air cooled Porsches these days will break you. I would suggest a boxster. Great driving fun, can be purchased cheaply, and have all of the modern creature comforts.

QUOTE (RdeC @ Aug 30 2017, 02:40 PM) *
Hi all- am looking for some tips & hints as to how to get into the hobby without killing myself or my budget. I am closing in on retirement, and have a small VA disability check, so my life-long desire to own an aircooled 911 Carrera with the tea tray and crazy billboard lettering has become untenable- have ya seen the prices on those things lately?!
I have been a traditional Beetle guy in the past, having finished a Cal-look '70 with a 1915cc and aftermarket ragtop and a basket case Baja wide eye with a 1835cc (stinger! Zoomy! tickets!), so I am a bit familiar with the flat four from busses and bugs, and I had a roomie decades ago in college who delivered Domino's in a Saturn yellow 914 and whined 'cuz he didn't make tips...
So, what do I need to read, who do I talk to, and what do I look for when I go shopping? I'm not all that interested in concours correct collector cars, nor do I plan to track with any regularity, so I'm open to suggestions for a nice driver that won't break me.
Thanks for the help!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 20, 2017 - 01:41 AM