Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Silly question about 73/74 bumpers
ninefourteener
post Jun 6 2017, 01:49 PM
Post #1

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Group: Members
Member No.: 779

I refuse to buy a 75-76 bumpered car... just personal preference.

While my preference is 70-72.... I'm trying to branch out and look at 73/74s as well.

Question.... What does a 73/74 bumper look like if I were to remove the plastic bumper pieces. I'm sure it's not "magically" going to look like a 70-72.... but what sort of work would be involved to get it that way?

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dr. 914
post Jun 6 2017, 01:58 PM
Post #2

Dr. 914

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20,846

73 have front bumper guards which protect the bumper and front end from expensive damage and also make the front end look longer and the car look better
74 models have both front and rear guards, which means four holes in each bumper when the guards are removed, and those holes cannot be disguised

Bottom line: Leave the car the way the factory made it and enjoy for what it is

QUOTE (ninefourteener @ Jun 6 2017, 02:49 PM) *
I refuse to buy a 75-76 bumpered car... just personal preference.

While my preference is 70-72.... I'm trying to branch out and look at 73/74s as well.

Question.... What does a 73/74 bumper look like if I were to remove the plastic bumper pieces. I'm sure it's not "magically" going to look like a 70-72.... but what sort of work would be involved to get it that way?

Thanks in advance.

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 6 2017, 02:11 PM
Post #3

Group: SuperMod
Member No.: 18,200

I agree with George above.

However, you can get chromed bumper plugs from various sources (one advertises in PCA's Panorama magazine) - not too expensive, but also still very noticeable, but then again it doesn't permanently alter the bumpers;

... or you can get them welded in & the entire bumper welds smoothed, bumper refinished & rechromed - not a cheap proposition if done right;

... or you can buy a F &/or R 71-72 (70 rear is different, front the same 70-72) chromed bumpers or restorable cores to swap in (but save your originals for future) - also not cheap & this saves the original 73/74 ones for reinstall in the future for a "proper" 73/74.

... or - you can just be happy to get the best of the 914/4s in a nice 73/74 914-2.0 & keep the original bumpers on it, & put yourself on a "bumper desensitization program" to get used to the dang things!

PS - a 75-76 in black actually blends very nicely visually, but that may be too much of a "bumper desensitization program" for you! ;-D

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Jun 6 2017, 07:01 PM
Post #4

Creamsicle project DD

Member No.: 18,525

And if you go the "early bumper replacement" route, you can back-date a '75-76 (sorry, George)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Jun 7 2017, 04:53 AM
Post #5

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

Thanks all. Does anyone have pictures of said "holes" that will be present if I were to remove the bumper guard? "Plugging" them isn't my 1st choice, , but I'm curious how large the holes are.

My first two 914s were both 72s.... since it's been over 10 years since I've owned one, I'm kinda partial to that look (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Also.... what is the going rate for a set of clean early-model bumpers?

+Quote Post
Dr. 914
post Jun 8 2017, 10:23 AM
Post #6

Dr. 914

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20,846

Hard to find good used bumpers these days, they have all taken their share of bumps and scrapes and everyone wants them. THAT is why we remade the chrome set. We had been rechroming, but quickly ran out of good cores. They needed more and more "beating out" and straightening, and were just finally no good. We have of course more rear than front used ones for the obvious reason, but just not worth doing when new chrome ones are reasonable (we are selling as a special for 1000 a set, NO bumper guard holes!
There were about the same number of mild steel bumper cars made as chrome bumpered ones, but for some reason, the mild steel are like hens teeth, few and far between as they both got damaged AND rusted.

QUOTE (ninefourteener @ Jun 7 2017, 05:53 AM) *
Thanks all. Does anyone have pictures of said "holes" that will be present if I were to remove the bumper guard? "Plugging" them isn't my 1st choice, , but I'm curious how large the holes are.

My first two 914s were both 72s.... since it's been over 10 years since I've owned one, I'm kinda partial to that look (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Also.... what is the going rate for a set of clean early-model bumpers?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 22, 2017 - 05:42 AM