IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creating new ignition key from door tumbler, Lost 914 Ignition Key - Using door handle tumbler
dlloyd2691
post Sep 3 2018, 12:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 33,857

First, off thanks in advance for any assistance. I'm embarrassed to say that after my project car has sat for about a year,
we have been unable to find the only ignition key (that we evidently safely tucked away before a trip a year ago!).
After turning over the home I've given up. I've read multiple articles on creating a new key from the lock in the door handle.
So the question is how? I have other Porsche's and Porsche (with the VIN) can't help me.

I have removed the passenger door handle and have a new steel blank key from Porsche (yes I bought it before I lost the other...)

1. Is there a number (I saw reference to AFAIK) that is on the tumbler so that a proper key can be cut?
2. Does a locksmith use a soft blank in the existing door lock to create a new key instead?
3. Everything I read seems to suggest that removing the tumbler (is there a number on it or something that allows a key to be cut)

I'm trying to determine the right next steps. Is there a place I can send my lock who provides this service?

Many thanks to the community, looking forward to getting the project back on track.

David
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dr. 914
post Sep 4 2018, 11:17 AM
Post #2

Dr. 914

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20,846

A lock smith will look at the height on each tumbler (one to four) and put that code into his machine and cut a perfect key for you. Easy. We do it all of the time to recreate a new perfect factory key

QUOTE (dlloyd2691 @ Sep 3 2018, 01:37 PM) *
First, off thanks in advance for any assistance. I'm embarrassed to say that after my project car has sat for about a year,
we have been unable to find the only ignition key (that we evidently safely tucked away before a trip a year ago!).
After turning over the home I've given up. I've read multiple articles on creating a new key from the lock in the door handle.
So the question is how? I have other Porsche's and Porsche (with the VIN) can't help me.

I have removed the passenger door handle and have a new steel blank key from Porsche (yes I bought it before I lost the other...)

1. Is there a number (I saw reference to AFAIK) that is on the tumbler so that a proper key can be cut?
2. Does a locksmith use a soft blank in the existing door lock to create a new key instead?
3. Everything I read seems to suggest that removing the tumbler (is there a number on it or something that allows a key to be cut)

I'm trying to determine the right next steps. Is there a place I can send my lock who provides this service?

Many thanks to the community, looking forward to getting the project back on track.

David

+Quote Post
jockellis
post Sep 8 2018, 06:06 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,798

Have you gotten a new key made yet? If so, how many minutes after you got the new one did you find the original? I hope Rustyís hey is still in the ignition. I havenít looked in several years but for me thatís the safest place for it with it being up an jackstands in the garage.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 26, 2019 - 06:11 PM