Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front & Rear Bumpers, All years
Pat Garvey
post Nov 17 2006, 08:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765

OK - new nailed area.

There were quite a few variations in 914 bumpers through the years.

Think about it - special early rear chrome bumper (was this available in painted form?), chrome or painted, front/ rear tits (pardon), rubber. What about the fog/no-fog combinations?

Show yours here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierze...
post Nov 18 2006, 01:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,727

Here is an original, concours 914 front end. This would be an "appearance pkg" chrome bumper w/fog lights, circa 1970/71/72. Car belongs to our moderator, Pat Garvey.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierze...
post Nov 18 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,727

Depicted here is an original, early rear bumper on an early '70/4. For reference, the "indent" for the license area is very sharp and angular compared to the more curved transition for later rear bumpers.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Scott H
post Nov 19 2006, 01:33 AM
Post #4

Luddite

Member No.: 4,790

I'm kinda new here so I'm not sure if it's okay to ask questions like this over in this forum, so feel free to remove this post if it's not appropriate ... plus, the pictures are of a nasty car and I don't want to detract from the concours cars ...

The picture below is my '72. The front chrome bumper has a pair of holes on each side, just inboard of the foglights.
I'm assuming these are the mounting holes for the "tits" but it appears that none have ever be mounted there.
Would that be correct for a '72? Were the tits an option in '72 or is it a later bumper on my car?

Thanks.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/sdcvw/914/118-1868_IMG.jpg)

Rear chrome bumper:
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/sdcvw/914/118-1849_IMG.jpg)

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 19 2006, 01:45 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Scott H @ Nov 19 2006, 02:33 AM) *
I'm kinda new here so I'm not sure if it's okay to ask questions like this over in this forum, so feel free to remove this post if it's not appropriate ... plus, the pictures are of a nasty car and I don't want to detract from the concours cars ...

The picture below is my '72. The front chrome bumper has a pair of holes on each side, just inboard of the foglights.
I'm assuming these are the mounting holes for the "tits" but it appears that none have ever be mounted there.
Would that be correct for a '72? Were the tits an option in '72 or is it a later bumper on my car?

Thanks.

Rear chrome bumper:

Scott,

You have a '73 or '74 bumper on your 914 (front). Front "tits" appeared first on '73, rears in '74.

And, don't worry about posting. This forum is supposed to be the place to ask questions like yours. Are you planning a restoration?

+Quote Post
Jettin2Class
post Mar 20 2009, 11:14 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 16,675

Couple questions:

Where/how can one get or redo the upper rubber strip ('73)?
My car has fogs, but the grills that were included seem like they are for fog-less cars. Did any of them ever come that way?

Thanks for the newbie help. (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
glen caines
post Mar 20 2009, 11:37 AM
Post #7

Earl of cloves

Member No.: 17,006

Couple questions:

My car has fogs, but the grills that were included seem like they are for fog-less cars. Did any of them ever come that way?

Thanks for the newbie help. (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

The bumper grilles without the round cutout for fogs only had horns behind them. You could probably find some bumper rubber on the classifieds here,with a WTB ad. If you would like something a little different, I have had great results from fiberglass replacements from Carl Rudolph co., they look like the rubber bumpers, but you can paint them body color if you like,and if you dont hit anything should last a while. If you have the stock size fogs, the grilles are usally pretty easy to find. (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/crest.gif)

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 28 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #8

Couple questions:

Porsche stopped making the front upper bumper rubber. Apparently, the dies became unusable because of age.

So.....unless you can find someone who has squirrelled way a new top, you'll have to go with used, and most that you'll find are USED!

If you wish to keep your 914 as original as possible, expect to pay BIG bucks for a nice top!

Just another chapter in owning a car that's at least 33 years old. Won't get cheaper than right now, either.
Pat

+Quote Post
bembry
post Mar 28 2009, 09:17 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,499

Couple questions:

The bumper grilles without the round cutout for fogs only had horns behind them. You could probably find some bumper rubber on the classifieds here,with a WTB ad. If you would like something a little different, I have had great results from fiberglass replacements from Carl Rudolph co., they look like the rubber bumpers, but you can paint them body color if you like,and if you dont hit anything should last a while. If you have the stock size fogs, the grilles are usally pretty easy to find. (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/crest.gif)

Glen,
With the Carl Rudolph fiberglass bumper tops, did you have to modify any bolt holes to mount them, etc, , or were they good to go right out of the box? I'm looking into these too.
Thanks in advance!

+Quote Post
3665porsche
post Apr 2 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 15,519

I recently purchased a 1973 914 with ID # 4732906279 with front and rear full size rubber bumpers that I thought only came on 75 model 914. I have had the bumpers off to smooth and resurface them and the braces for mounting appear the be factory welded to the frame. Any chance this was a protype or special order or what ???

This is my 4th 914 and I have never seen anything like this bumper setup. I had a new 72 and currently have 2 nice 74 914 s.

This is my 1st post, so I hope I am doing this right?

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 3 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #11

I recently purchased a 1973 914 with ID # 4732906279 with front and rear full size rubber bumpers that I thought only came on 75 model 914. I have had the bumpers off to smooth and resurface them and the braces for mounting appear the be factory welded to the frame. Any chance this was a protype or special order or what ???

This is my 4th 914 and I have never seen anything like this bumper setup. I had a new 72 and currently have 2 nice 74 914 s.

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 3 2009, 09:07 PM
Post #12

Well, this IS unique! I've known several perople who've retro fitted earlier bumpers to 75's/76's, but never someone who;e "pro" fitted to 75/76 bumpers.

Your 914 is a fairly early '73. No chance that the factory was playing around with later bumpers at that stage.

I will ask a couple of questions that MAY arouse your wrath ( & I apologize if I anger you):

Has this 914 been wrecked?

Could the tub have been split?

I only ask these questions because I have no other answer for you situation. Something isn't right.
Pat

+Quote Post
3665porsche
post Apr 4 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 15,519

Well, this IS unique! I've known several perople who've retro fitted earlier bumpers to 75's/76's, but never someone who;e "pro" fitted to 75/76 bumpers.

Your 914 is a fairly early '73. No chance that the factory was playing around with later bumpers at that stage.

I will ask a couple of questions that MAY arouse your wrath ( & I apologize if I anger you):

I only ask these questions because I have no other answer for you situation. Something isn't right.
Pat

Pat, thanks for your answer. I have had 2 local Porsche repair guys look the car over on and off a lift. They could not find any evidence that the car had been wrecked or even welded on. The vins on the window and under the front bonnett match. Someone has added what appear to be 911E front brakes and the car has 911 style wheelFuch wheels and Koni shocks. I can try and take some pictures? Jack

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 5 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #14

Pat

Pat, thanks for your answer. I have had 2 local Porsche repair guys look the car over on and off a lift. They could not find any evidence that the car had been wrecked or even welded on. The vins on the window and under the front bonnett match. Someone has added what appear to be 911E front brakes and the car has 911 style wheelFuch wheels and Koni shocks. I can try and take some pictures? Jack

Jack,

I'm intrigued here. Number one, for the reasons stated earlier.

Now, because you cannot just switch from later bumpers to earlier one & vice versa easily. There are body modifications that need to be made. There are differences between the lips of the front bumper mountings on the later cars the versus the earlier cars, and they are major changes. I would suggest that your mechanics re-visit the Factory workshop manuals.
Pat

+Quote Post
Tidybuoy
post Sep 29 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 19,554

I have committed a Concours Sin.....

Two 1974 cars - one with original bumper horns, and the gray car has 1975 bumper horns mounted to it. They're Porsche horns...just the wrong era but I like them.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Jarrob24
post Nov 15 2009, 02:58 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 18,187

QUOTE (1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 18 2006, 01:58 PM) *
Depicted here is an original, early rear bumper on an early '70/4. For reference, the "indent" for the license area is very sharp and angular compared to the more curved transition for later rear bumpers.

I'm looking for one of these. Anyone have one??

+Quote Post
Jarrob24
post Nov 15 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 18,187

QUOTE (Jarrob24 @ Nov 15 2009, 11:58 AM) *

I'm looking for one of these. Anyone have one??

Looking for this early bumper....

+Quote Post
silver72
post Sep 15 2010, 07:49 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 21,718

QUOTE (Pat Garvey @ Nov 19 2006, 01:45 PM) *

Thanks.

Rear chrome bumper:

Scott,

You have a '73 or '74 bumper on your 914 (front). Front "tits" appeared first on '73, rears in '74.

And, don't worry about posting. This forum is supposed to be the place to ask questions like yours. Are you planning a restoration?

I have a 72 that was built very late prior to switching to the 73 year. My bumper is stock and also has the mounting holes and covers. They may have been gearing up for the 73 change to adding the bumber tits.

+Quote Post
fireman_chris
post Jun 3 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 15,991

The front bumper cap/cover/crown rubber piece on my '73 is in good shape however it looks a little rough, like the one on the red rust 914 above.
Any suggestions for restoring the component other than Armorall?
Thank you for your suggestions.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
oakpark
post Nov 7 2011, 12:43 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 3,236

QUOTE (fireman_chris @ Jun 3 2011, 08:05 PM) *
The front bumper cap/cover/crown rubber piece on my '73 is in good shape however it looks a little rough, like the one on the red rust 914 above.
Any suggestions for restoring the component other than Armorall?
Thank you for your suggestions.

I do use armorall to restore the look on my bumper caps, but put it on with a sponge. You'd be surprised how black the sponge gets from taking off dirt and what I would guess is oxidized rubber. I replaced both bumper tops about 20 years ago and they still look great after twice a year armorall. Hope that helps.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 23, 2019 - 10:22 PM