IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Colour Blind ("Color" for my friends to the south)
strudelwagon
post May 2 2009, 12:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,492

Hello again fellow Teeners,

I'm trying to figure what colour my car is (apart from just "Yellow").
It's a 74 2.0 with a chassis plate on the drivers A pillar that says "98". OK I know that means "Custom Porsche Colour" but what could it be?
It looks like L13K (Sunflower Yellow) but if that was the colour then why the "98"? It does seem more pale that L13K but how did the special order thing work? Did you just pick a colour from the Porsche book (911, 912) and say Ya, I'll take one in that colour?
Oh Ya, It's been painted once but I checked under the undercoating and it's still yellow

Anyway, I figured that if anyone would know it would be someone here.

Thanks
Steve
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
strudelwagon
post May 2 2009, 02:18 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (strudelwagon @ May 1 2009, 09:09 PM) *

It's a 74 2.0 with a chassis plate on the drivers A pillar that says "98". OK I know that means "Custom Porsche Colour" but what could it be?
It looks like L13K (Sunflower Yellow) but if that was the colour then why the "98"? It does seem more pale that L13K but how did the special order thing work? Did you just pick a colour from the Porsche book (911, 912) and say Ya, I'll take one in that colour?
Oh Ya, It's been painted once but I checked under the undercoating and it's still yellow

Thanks
Steve

Could it be Champaign yellow from '65 356?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 3 2009, 12:13 AM
Post #3

914 GOD

Member No.: 8

The small black plate says "98"? The plate in between the door hinges?

B

+Quote Post
strudelwagon
post May 3 2009, 01:58 AM
Post #4

The small black plate says "98"? The plate in between the door hinges?

B

Yes Brad,
That's the one, it also has the chassis # on it. The same one stamped on the pass. side floor in the rear trunk.
S

+Quote Post
zonedoubt
post May 14 2009, 05:06 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 696

Hey neighbour. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

+Quote Post
strudelwagon
post May 15 2009, 05:28 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (zonedoubt @ May 14 2009, 02:06 PM) *
Hey neighbour. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

Hey Zonedoubt,

I don't see too many 914's in the vancouver area. What year are you driving?

Steve (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 15 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE (strudelwagon @ May 2 2009, 02:09 AM) *

Thanks
Steve

Do you have a COA for the car?
Pat

+Quote Post
strudelwagon
post May 17 2009, 07:32 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Pat Garvey @ May 15 2009, 07:22 PM) *

Thanks
Steve

Pat

Hi Pat,
No I don't, but from what i'm reading about what you get fpr the $100 I could spend the money better somewhere else.
Steve

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 19 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE (strudelwagon @ May 17 2009, 09:32 PM) *

Thanks
Steve

Pat

Hi Pat,
No I don't, but from what i'm reading about what you get fpr the $100 I could spend the money better somewhere else.
Steve

Steve,

Agree about the overall value of a COA, but it would probably shed SOME light on the paint color.

Realistically, we have to realize that these cars are a minimum of 33 years old. To get ANY info about the heritage is probably worth the price. Remember, these cars were manufactured many years ago, in another country, by a small manufacturer. I'm actually amazed that any model-specific data is still available. Think you could get that kind of data for a 1972 Datsun 240Z? Doubt it.
Pat

+Quote Post
strudelwagon
post May 20 2009, 10:02 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Pat Garvey @ May 19 2009, 07:21 PM) *

Thanks
Steve

Pat

Hi Pat,
Steve

Steve,

Agree about the overall value of a COA, but it would probably shed SOME light on the paint color.

Realistically, we have to realize that these cars are a minimum of 33 years old. To get ANY info about the heritage is probably worth the price. Remember, these cars were manufactured many years ago, in another country, by a small manufacturer. I'm actually amazed that any model-specific data is still available. Think you could get that kind of data for a 1972 Datsun 240Z? Doubt it.
Pat

Good point Pat,
I'll put it back on the list of things I need to go forward on my resto. I appreciate the insite.
SW

+Quote Post
strudelwagon
post Aug 23 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #11

Thanks
Steve

Pat

Hi Pat,
Steve

Steve,

Pat

Good point Pat,
I'll put it back on the list of things I need to go forward on my resto. I appreciate the insite.
SW

Well folks,
Turns out the colour is code 615 "Sahara Beige" like this Carerra... Cool
Attached thumbnail(s)

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Shindog1961
post Sep 21 2009, 01:32 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 19,518

I agree, the color looks different from my 74 914 2.0 in sunflower yellow. Me and my father are the only owners so I know it's the original color. As to the color I'm sorry I don't have any info.

Sean

+Quote Post
strudelwagon
post Apr 30 2011, 12:20 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (strudelwagon @ May 1 2009, 10:09 PM) *

Thanks
Steve

Update: well the colour is 516 Sahara Beige and she goes in for a repaint in the original colour next week.
Attached Image

Not the flashiest colour but cool!

+Quote Post
smg914
post May 1 2011, 04:43 PM
Post #14

member of the M471 club

Member No.: 1,695

The COA will document that your car has the paint code 98 "Color to Sample" option but it will not show what the color is. In fact, Porsche has no record of the colors used on 914's with the color to sample option.

I have friend that had a 74 911 carrera in Sahara Beige. When you see it in person, you don't really think "Yellow" It's not Beige and it's not Yellow. It's somewhere in between . So if you look at the original paint on your 914 and think it's a shade of Yellow, it may not be 1974 911 Sahara Beige.

+Quote Post
strudelwagon
post May 6 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #15

The COA will document that your car has the paint code 98 "Color to Sample" option but it will not show what the color is. In fact, Porsche has no record of the colors used on 914's with the color to sample option.

I have friend that had a 74 911 carrera in Sahara Beige. When you see it in person, you don't really think "Yellow" It's not Beige and it's not Yellow. It's somewhere in between . So if you look at the original paint on your 914 and think it's a shade of Yellow, it may not be 1974 911 Sahara Beige.

I sent a piece of the original body metal from under the light box VIN plate to Davep ,the colour guy on the world site and he confirmed that it was Saraha Beige. he matched it against his paint chips of Porsche colours
SW

+Quote Post
smg914
post May 8 2011, 08:13 PM
Post #16

member of the M471 club

Member No.: 1,695

Steve,

I think it's pretty cool that you and I both have 914 2 liters that came from the factory with paint code 98, color to sample in Sahara Beige and our names are both Steve. That is certainly going to cause some confusion somewhere down the road. LOL. But what's even funnier than that is the fact that our 914s are totally different colors. At least our cars are different model years (mines a 1973 and yours is a 1974).

Steve

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Dr. 914
post Jun 2 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #17

Dr. 914

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20,846

98 paint to match were all specially ordered cars so you have a very special car!

+Quote Post
LaurenEquar
post Nov 2 2017, 11:53 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 31,562

Hi!
best workout for a slim body wraps

+Quote Post
LaurenEquar
post Nov 2 2017, 11:55 AM
Post #19

Hello!
how to burn fat fast without exercise

+Quote Post
LaurenEquar
post Nov 2 2017, 11:56 AM
Post #20

Hello!
slimming world uk syns

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 26, 2019 - 01:00 PM