Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Factory Assembly-Line Markings?, Please set me straight
Mr_Zambezi
post Feb 1 2009, 03:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,010

Can anyone give me the story behind the number in the driver headlight bay?

In an effort to bring my car as close as possible to how it was at purchase, my paint man just shot clear in my headlamp bays! I'm an anal SOB and my man hooked me up....Since the Sikkens is a dead match, a little windex and some clear coat and all blended identically.....Thanks Steve!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Feb 12 2009, 04:47 AM
Post #2

914 GOD

Member No.: 8

Good question (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'll ask my Porsche guy (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

B

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Feb 16 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,765

Can anyone give me the story behind the number in the driver headlight bay?

In an effort to bring my car as close as possible to how it was at purchase, my paint man just shot clear in my headlamp bays! I'm an anal SOB and my man hooked me up....Since the Sikkens is a dead match, a little windex and some clear coat and all blended identically.....Thanks Steve!

Well, I guess I've seen it all now! This is a first for me.

Couple of questions, and please don't be perturbed.....
1. Is this car original - has it been clipped?
2. Have the bucket(s) been replaced?
3. Does the other side have a similar marking?
Pat

+Quote Post
Mr_Zambezi
post Feb 17 2009, 10:05 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,010

Well, I guess I've seen it all now! This is a first for me.

Couple of questions, and please don't be perturbed.....
1. Is this car original - has it been clipped?
2. Have the bucket(s) been replaced?
3. Does the other side have a similar marking?
Pat
[/quote]

Not at all, let me try to answer these questions.
1. She's a 85% to 90% original, 1973, EB model, custom ordered by the 1st owner, from the Porsche/Audi dealer in Beverly Hills. I was born just down the road in Fox Hills; how cool is that! It's original except the interior and some small mods (even got th original block and tranny). I'm the fourth owner. The car was garaged and very well taken care of until the 3rd owner, which did some damage in the 6 years he owned it. Damage = Let the battery eat out the hell hole and left the firewall pad on after taking her up to Seattle with him (moisture on the firewall caused rust). Also, dumpster'd the tan interior (ugly to him) and tried his own version of 911 interior in a 914. Also, shot a oil based covering all over the engine bay to stop any further rusting and coverup the shitty hell hole repair.
(check out my "Pre-Restoration" album to see what it looked like) - (Also, have a thread on Hell hole restoration to not hide my shame and to show the fix).

Clipped? If you mean has it been wrecked, or any major damage to the front end/anywhere? If so, then no. The car (suspension mount), was curbed on something, probably a secured parking block, which popped up the driver front a bit in the trunk. It caused a slight crease just down from the driver headlight and in front of the wheel well on the trunk (pan)floor. The front end was pulled back down into shape with little force; it beautifully popped right back into shape.

2. Again, if you mean cut out and replaced due to rusting, or accident....then no. When you say buckets, do you mean the light bays, or trunks? Still, all is original.

3. No, only the drivers side bay. I've seen this marking, in other cars, obviously different numbers though. Doesn't yours, or didn't yours have the same?

My trailing arms have what I believe are assembly line markings as well. Take a look at this photo. It shows a stamped K? There is also a hand painted O behind the Wheels. The markings are on both arms.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
pete000
post Feb 7 2011, 09:47 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,978

I was cleaning out my Head light area and see the same thing. Mine is the number 8

I have only checked the drivers side so far.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 26, 2019 - 01:02 PM