Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1976 914 tires
nj91462
post Dec 17 2012, 06:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,514

Hi,
I have recently fixed my all stock 1976 914 but I need tires bad. I still have Pirelli Cinturatos from the '80s but they are all dried up and cracking all over. I have the original Fuchs rims on the car. Can anyone please help me with a good tire to put on my car? I was thinking of putting 195/60/r15 tires on the car but don't know which ones to get. I plan on only driving the car spiritedly on the streets. Thank you!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jockellis
post Dec 17 2012, 02:13 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 21,798

Welcome to the club. Show us some pictures. If you are not going to AX your car, probably anything will do. Even if you decide to you don't need DOT "R" tires to have a good time. Go on Tire Rack's website and search for tires in the size you want and look at the reviews from owners to see how they like their brand.

+Quote Post
Dar's 914
post Jan 5 2013, 03:03 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 24,965

In a regular street "performance" tire, there aren't a lot of great choices in 15 inch wheels anymore.

We have Bridgestone Potenza 960's in 195/65/15's on my son's 914 and as a compromise tire they perform well in the real world and sufficient for occassional autocrossing even though they have a 400 wear rating. I have run them on my 356 for years (950s, now 960s) and they have good grip and are progressive when they start reaching their limits. They are about $82 a piece before mounting at America's tire.

Almost as importantly, they are almost the same as the original size tires. There is a tire calculator on the other club site that will compare the original size to a variety of sizes so that you know what you are getting into. Width of the cross section where it will rub, especially in the rear is a concern. For his car these don't rub in the rear at all, think they may still touch slightly in the front under full lock.

Good luck with your hunt for the right tire.

Jonathan

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: June 26, 2019 - 06:45 PM