Reply to this topicStart new topic
> six speed subaru box, Strong enough?
returf
post May 15 2012, 03:45 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,233

Attached Image
Has anybody had experience with the six speed behind a LS1. I'm doing a 914 LS1 turbo using a subie trans so would be interested in any known facts regarding strength of box. One of our local tuners has over 700hp using a std 6 speed!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
returf
post May 15 2012, 04:01 PM
Post #2

Somebody asked about the adapter plate. It was one I made. It is out of 20mm thick steel. Midway motorsports made the chrome moly flywheel to suit the LS bolt pattern
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
ajracer
post May 18 2012, 10:01 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,945

Sounds like an interesting project; if friends have a 700 hp in front of a Subie tranny then you should be fine with the LS1. It is my understanding from most mechanical engineers that most parts are made to handle 2x more HP than stock; just need to be careful on the torque side.

Personally I am running a Chevy LT1 (300 HP) in front of a stock Boxster tranny with good results for the past few years. the Boxster was only rated for about 220 HP, and let's just saw that it has been driven hard with track days and some autocross event. Even strong using 2nd. gear for autocross and a Kevlar clutch disc will take most abuse you can give it.

Do you have any close up photos of your Subie tranny, what is the HP rating and does it provide good gear ratios for use behind the 6000 RPM LS1 engine. Some of the short comings with the Boxster tranny is the HP limitations and the gear ratios. Like you I designed my our adapter plate, designed and fabricated the flywheel, ring gear and starter srt-up. Fun project with satisfying results. Cheers,

Allan
Toronto, Canada

+Quote Post
returf
post May 20 2012, 06:32 AM
Post #4

Here's a couple of shot allan. Unfortunately the porsche trannys are nearly impossible to get here so thats why I'm trying the subaru sti.

Attached Image

Attached Image
QUOTE (ajracer @ May 19 2012, 04:01 PM) *
Sounds like an interesting project; if friends have a 700 hp in front of a Subie tranny then you should be fine with the LS1. It is my understanding from most mechanical engineers that most parts are made to handle 2x more HP than stock; just need to be careful on the torque side.

Personally I am running a Chevy LT1 (300 HP) in front of a stock Boxster tranny with good results for the past few years. the Boxster was only rated for about 220 HP, and let's just saw that it has been driven hard with track days and some autocross event. Even strong using 2nd. gear for autocross and a Kevlar clutch disc will take most abuse you can give it.

Do you have any close up photos of your Subie tranny, what is the HP rating and does it provide good gear ratios for use behind the 6000 RPM LS1 engine. Some of the short comings with the Boxster tranny is the HP limitations and the gear ratios. Like you I designed my our adapter plate, designed and fabricated the flywheel, ring gear and starter srt-up. Fun project with satisfying results. Cheers,

Allan
Toronto, Canada

+Quote Post
crawler
post Jun 14 2012, 07:26 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 26,000

Anything new happening with this project?

+Quote Post
returf
post Jun 16 2012, 06:15 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (crawler @ Jun 15 2012, 01:26 PM) *
Anything new happening with this project?

Yes things are moving along with the project.
I've started the aero parts of the bodywork with a front splitter nearly complete, there will also be a complete flat bottom floor that sits 70mm from the ground and side skirts with troughs to direct the airflow along the side of the body instead of letting it get underneath and I'll also have a rear diffuser and wing to help suck the car down.

The car has new adjusable front suspension using Nissan Silvia hubs and 325mm vented GTR rotors and 4 pot calipers. I made my own lower control arms and caster arms and used different mounting points. The rear are Subaru 5 stud front hubs with vented rotors and 4 pot calipers.
By the way, this was an easy conversion as the Porsche rear trailing arm bearings are the same ID as the Subaru hubs! I decided to run standard Subaru axles ( for ease of replacement and aftermarket strength ones) so I extended the trailing arms both length ways and width ways.

The car goes to get a cage fitted in a couple of weeks so i have to finish off a few of the mechanical parts of the project. I'll post a few more photos as we go along if you like.

MikeAttached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
returf
post Jul 1 2012, 08:39 PM
Post #7

moving along slowly but unshurely. At least in a direction
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
returf
post Jul 28 2012, 04:54 AM
Post #8

first drive today. A couple of small issues with water leak from the tubing going underneath the flloor and a weep from the inner axle seal to attend to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKq-JO442AI...ure=context-gah

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: January 17, 2019 - 11:07 PM