Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Titanium valve retainers, Titanium valve spring retainers
62 sptsr
post Mar 21 2012, 11:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,708

One of my valve retainers broke and a piece end up in the oil pump causing failure. We have the motor apart and every thing is savable. The heads seem fine and had extensive mods. The machinist says I should replace the retainer with another titanium one because That's how the system was designed. Camshaft, springs etc. The problem is there are no retainers available.

This appears to be a pretty nice motor, counterbalanced crank, big rods, 1o.5-1 pistons etc.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Kevin

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rpmmaxxed
post May 23 2012, 03:36 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,140

I could be wrong, but our heads do not come with titanium retainers. Also, if one of your retainers broke, I believe that would of caused severe head damage? Not sure Mr. Machinists should be saying your good to go... I'll be the first to admit I could be incorrect, hopefully this post will bump ya up to the top and get more experienced guys to give advice and info.

+Quote Post
Racer Chris
post May 24 2012, 12:19 PM
Post #3

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 209

Titanium retainers are available. Crower makes them for one. We just installed a set in an engine we built recently.
You will need to make sure the spring installed height is the same with the replacement retainer.
Aircooled.net might have Ti retainers.

+Quote Post
moose01
post Oct 10 2012, 05:42 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,990

I have a set fitted, after my brother took the car for a ride, missed a shift and dumped a vlv! I am not sure were the mechanic got them but they are sweet. I also have Ti retainer fitted to my big block 'vette. It is worth it!

+Quote Post
jockellis
post Oct 30 2012, 10:45 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,798

Valve keepers are so small that it doesn't seen that losing that little weight would matter. Now, if you changed to titanium valves then you would be saving great weight. A friend at work used to CNC machine the head casting and titaniun valves for champ drag racer Warren Johnson and said the light valves made a great difference.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: January 16, 2019 - 04:39 PM