Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> B.R.A.G. Brake Upgrade, Vented Rotor Upgrade for 4 lug
eric9144
post Feb 22 2011, 08:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Validating
Member No.: 16,377

Has anyone done the Brad Roberts AG Brake upgrade on their 914? I've run the BMW brakes up front for years and although they're better than stock, in a time trial or aggressive auto-x the limitations of the solid rotors are still enough to put you on the sidelines due to heat fade.

I'm a big proponent of keeping the stock look, not looking for a 5 lug convo, been there done that, yes it's awesome, but...

Feedback?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rdauenhauer
post Feb 23 2011, 08:42 PM
Post #2

Knee dragger

Group: Members
Member No.: 453

ive done it but was unaware that they even exist anymore?

+Quote Post
DanT
post Mar 7 2011, 12:45 AM
Post #3

'75 back in daily service!

Member No.: 2,880

I did the conversion on this car and it worked great with the little street driving I did. The car was mostly AX and Track...worked perfectly there.

I also put the stock front brakes on the rear with no E brake...took out the stock proportioning valve and replaced with a T.
Balanced the brakes with Pad selection (not suggested for the inexperienced)
Attached File(s)
Attached File  billethubs.jpg ( 159.53K ) Number of downloads: 20
Attached File  billethubs2.JPG ( 116.23K ) Number of downloads: 14
Attached File  puttputt_at_alameda.jpg ( 209.24K ) Number of downloads: 21
Attached File  puttputt_at_laguna.jpg ( 254.06K ) Number of downloads: 15

+Quote Post
eric9144
post Mar 14 2011, 01:24 PM
Post #4

Good to hear they work well, now I'm just wondering on Brad Roberts integrity as a vendor--it's been nearly 2 months now, the parts were supposedly in stock and I still haven't received them despite multiple emails and unreturned phone calls...there is much on the internet saying he's a scam artist--can anyone confirm? Going to bite the bullet and cancel the order if I dont get a response soon. Bummer... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

+Quote Post
socalnewbie
post Mar 14 2011, 07:10 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 19,870

that is a bummer dude. did you have contact with him before the purchase? if so i would probably just go for a refund. theres plenty of useful info on here for brake upgrades if you search for them. you can also post a new thread asking what is the best brake upgrade for your application (race, street, etc. ) and lots of helpful people here and the "world" site to point in the right direction. good luck, Dave

+Quote Post
eric9144
post Mar 17 2011, 06:23 PM
Post #6

So good news (hopefully), I heard back from Brad today, apparently he was out of town and the brakes are now shipping! I am still in a position where I will have to see them to believe it!

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
eric9144
post Mar 18 2011, 10:22 AM
Post #7

@Dan T, thanks for the pics and good to know they work well, I'm wondering if I can run with your idea and put my BMW calipers onto the rears and forgo the parking brake. I suspect there will be some new plumbing to be done and the replacement of the T or proportioning valve...

+Quote Post
HeresyTim
post Jun 22 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,451

QUOTE (eric9144 @ Feb 22 2011, 06:34 PM) *
Has anyone done the Brad Roberts AG Brake upgrade on their 914? I've run the BMW brakes up front for years and although they're better than stock, in a time trial or aggressive auto-x the limitations of the solid rotors are still enough to put you on the sidelines due to heat fade.

I'm a big proponent of keeping the stock look, not looking for a 5 lug convo, been there done that, yes it's awesome, but...

Feedback?

I did a conversion with stock Wilwood hats, rotors and dynalite calipers. I had a machine shop cut the rotors off the stock hub and drill the hat for 4x130 lugs. I made my own adapters for the caliper ear spacing. The brakes are huge and vented, but still fit into an EMPI style wheel. I was running the 320i/porterfield R4S combo before, but this was so much better that I had to take it off (no proportioning valve) but I'm going to put them back on (with a proportioning valve) soon. I have a 23 mm master cylinder too, but don't think I'll need it.
If you're curious I can post some photos.
Cheers,
Tim.

+Quote Post
stasko428
post Jul 16 2011, 12:01 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 21,531

QUOTE (HeresyTim @ Jun 22 2011, 10:34 PM) *

Feedback?

I did a conversion with stock Wilwood hats, rotors and dynalite calipers. I had a machine shop cut the rotors off the stock hub and drill the hat for 4x130 lugs. I made my own adapters for the caliper ear spacing. The brakes are huge and vented, but still fit into an EMPI style wheel. I was running the 320i/porterfield R4S combo before, but this was so much better that I had to take it off (no proportioning valve) but I'm going to put them back on (with a proportioning valve) soon. I have a 23 mm master cylinder too, but don't think I'll need it.
If you're curious I can post some photos.
Cheers,
Tim.

Do you have any pictures of this, it is a very interesting concept.

+Quote Post
meoshe
post Jan 17 2012, 12:15 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 25,353

Hi new member and owner with a few questions about this kit. I was wondering what is necessary to mount the M-caliper. Is an adapter needed or does it bolt up to the 914/4 spindle. I will be doing lapping days pretty consistently and want to address the brakes before they even become an issue. Thanks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 18, 2019 - 05:41 PM