Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Update on Rusty, Finally able to get to work
jockellis
post Jul 2 2018, 10:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,798

Itís hard to decide where to start work on Rusty but Iím thinking engine since if it will run I can get it to wherever he needs to be for more work.
Per Docís suggestion. I contacted Goza Machine Shop and learned what I needed to supply them with for the balancing. So I realized I needed to remove wrist pins from pistons. Took me over a week to find them because my side of the garage is so messy. Then the fun began. This car hasnít been registered since 1992 and set for years with no oil drain plug. I managed to get two pins out the first day, one the second, none the third and the final one on the fourth day, 7-2-2018. Oddly, the big end journals were perfect. I had to cut the barrels off several pistons three or four years ago when I started tearing it down.
I tried to upload photo of wrist pins and pistons but donít know if they uploaded. The pistons are a sight, too. It will go back together as a 1911 instead of the 1.8 it was and have biral cooling fins.
Now to buy a clutch. And find someplace with an ultrasonic tank big enough to clean one side of the case at a time. Iím also going to have to clean out a space to put up a parts washer. This car was really dirty.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  868D56CA_15FD_4A02_AE59_CC07C76F6FDD.jpeg ( 2MB ) Number of downloads: 5
Attached File  54C1B509_7208_4F24_9347_AD0ECC2D2EF6.jpeg ( 2MB ) Number of downloads: 6
Attached File  54C1B509_7208_4F24_9347_AD0ECC2D2EF6.jpeg ( 2MB ) Number of downloads: 4
Attached File  7E2BA25E_FED9_437F_91CA_3A1595215C4F.jpeg ( 2.5MB ) Number of downloads: 4

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dr. 914
post Jul 2 2018, 10:42 AM
Post #2

Dr. 914

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20,846

wow that stuff is HAMMERED!!

QUOTE (jockellis @ Jul 2 2018, 11:01 AM) *
Itís hard to decide where to start work on Rusty but Iím thinking engine since if it will run I can get it to wherever he needs to be for more work.
Per Docís suggestion. I contacted Goza Machine Shop and learned what I needed to supply them with for the balancing. So I realized I needed to remove wrist pins from pistons. Took me over a week to find them because my side of the garage is so messy. Then the fun began. This car hasnít been registered since 1992 and set for years with no oil drain plug. I managed to get two pins out the first day, one the second, none the third and the final one on the fourth day, 7-2-2018. Oddly, the big end journals were perfect. I had to cut the barrels off several pistons three or four years ago when I started tearing it down.
I tried to upload photo of wrist pins and pistons but donít know if they uploaded. The pistons are a sight, too. It will go back together as a 1911 instead of the 1.8 it was and have biral cooling fins.
Now to buy a clutch. And find someplace with an ultrasonic tank big enough to clean one side of the case at a time. Iím also going to have to clean out a space to put up a parts washer. This car was really dirty.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: January 16, 2019 - 04:42 PM