IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Detailing Suggestions -Specifically the pads, Got a new Orbital Buffer and the pad options are confusing.
PSubowicz
post Jan 16 2011, 01:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,877

Has anyone tried using the Porter Cable 7424 Random Action Orbital Buffer? I got one a few months ago and it has made a big difference in how fast I can clean and wax my car, however, I'm getting so confused on all the various pads and cleaners they sell for it. I started off with a bunch of different colored pads that have varying levels of cleaning and polishing, but does it really make that much of a difference for a car with good but not show quality paint? I've used it on my Infiniti and my neighbors BMW and the cars always turn out beautiful. I'm curious if anyone out here knows the difference in real life on using the other pads? Are they worth the investment? If so, that's great, but the McGuiars and the pads Im using now seem to do the job.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PSubowicz
post Jan 16 2011, 12:24 PM
Post #2

Update for anyone interested: I found a website that has all the info on the pads and waxes. It's called AutoGeek.net. I got a various selection and once the weather breaks here in Atlanta I'll let you know how my 914 turned out with the products and pads.

+Quote Post
PSubowicz
post Feb 5 2011, 12:46 PM
Post #3

Update on the Porter Cable 7424. -we FINALLY got some sun last weekend. This tool really speeds up the detailing process. The buffer rotates up to 6K RPM but at that speed it numbs your hands. Ideally it is best at 4K and it applies the wax (I used McGuier's but I'm going to experiment with others) evenly. It spins and shakes so there's virtually no way to hurt the paint.
I finished my Infiniti and my 914 in about 3 hours and that was washing, drying, and applying a glaze and protective wax.

If you get one, I also recommend the microfiber bonnets to remove the wax. I tried with regular microfiber towels for a few panels and it does fine, but the bonnets fit right on the buffer and will help you avoid any swirl marks.
Happy cleaning!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 19, 2019 - 08:53 PM