IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche hood badge or emblem, Is there an excepted standard for placement??
Jarrob24
post Dec 2 2009, 01:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,187

I thought I read somewhere placement is 3 inches up from the lip of the hood. Anyone know. I also heard that they were not a stock item but usually placed by the dealer. Does this mean there is no standard and it is a matter of choice??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ChuckT
post Feb 1 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,407

QUOTE (Jarrob24 @ Dec 2 2009, 01:02 PM) *
I thought I read somewhere placement is 3 inches up from the lip of the hood. Anyone know. I also heard that they were not a stock item but usually placed by the dealer. Does this mean there is no standard and it is a matter of choice??

Centered with the front bottom tip 80mm front the leading edge of the front trunk lid.

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Feb 12 2010, 09:27 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE (Jarrob24 @ Dec 2 2009, 03:02 PM) *

What this means, and I hate to offend anyone, is that there were NO Factory authorized Porsche hood crests on a 914. Well, there were a couple of exceptions, they appeared on 914's that didn't end in 4 or 6. Much like the Dino, which was not permitted to have Ferrari crests, the 914 was a hybrid of the day. In that, it was a VW-914 in most of the ROW, and even had a Wolfsburg crest molded into the steering hub in those countries.

The Porsche crest of the period was placed solely on the hood of the 911, approximately 6 1/2 inches from the bottom edge.
Pat

+Quote Post
Jarrob24
post Feb 12 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #4

What this means, and I hate to offend anyone, is that there were NO Factory authorized Porsche hood crests on a 914. Well, there were a couple of exceptions, they appeared on 914's that didn't end in 4 or 6. Much like the Dino, which was not permitted to have Ferrari crests, the 914 was a hybrid of the day. In that, it was a VW-914 in most of the ROW, and even had a Wolfsburg crest molded into the steering hub in those countries.

The Porsche crest of the period was placed solely on the hood of the 911, approximately 6 1/2 inches from the bottom edge.
Pat

You mean like this, my car?? I knew that, that's why I said usually placed by the dealer not stock item. Just thought there might be a standard placement. I see there isn't. I have seen them maybe 6 1/2 inches on a few 914's I think that's way too high and looks odd. 911's have a much longer hood and it looks fine on them. Anyway I decided on 3 and a half inches from the edge and I like it.
Not sure what you mean; 914's that didn't end in 4 or 6? Serial # ? I guess I did post this in the wrong Forum. my bad...
Cheers

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 16 2010, 09:13 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Jarrob24 @ Feb 12 2010, 11:48 PM) *

Pat

You mean like this, my car?? I knew that, that's why I said usually placed by the dealer not stock item. Just thought there might be a standard placement. I see there isn't. I have seen them maybe 6 1/2 inches on a few 914's I think that's way too high and looks odd. 911's have a much longer hood and it looks fine on them. Anyway I decided on 3 and a half inches from the edge and I like it.
Not sure what you mean; 914's that didn't end in 4 or 6? Serial # ? I guess I did post this in the wrong Forum. my bad...
Cheers

Sorry for the delay in responding - seldom go here.
What I meant was, that unless you have a 914/8 or a 916, Porsche badges were not installed on 914's. The standard for placement of a badge on a 914 would be dictated by those rare versions, and I don't have the measurements.

When dealers installed the badges, they were doing so without permission from Porsche, and were in violation of the contract terms for a franchise. Wherever you placed yours, you had to drill holes in the lid. It's a gig on resale. I wouldn't do it.
Pat

+Quote Post
Jarrob24
post Apr 17 2010, 10:18 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Pat Garvey @ Apr 16 2010, 06:13 PM) *

Pat

Cheers

What I meant was, that unless you have a 914/8 or a 916, Porsche badges were not installed on 914's. The standard for placement of a badge on a 914 would be dictated by those rare versions, and I don't have the measurements.

When dealers installed the badges, they were doing so without permission from Porsche, and were in violation of the contract terms for a franchise. Wherever you placed yours, you had to drill holes in the lid. It's a gig on resale. I wouldn't do it.
Pat

+Quote Post
Jarrob24
post Apr 17 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Jarrob24 @ Apr 17 2010, 07:18 AM) *

Pat

Cheers

Pat

You're right about what you said. Yes there were holes necessary to mount it. I guess it's a matter of choice, concourse car and so on. IMHO it is very unlikely one will have a car that is completely original. Most at least need some new paint. I had a bit of a fender bender last year and so needed some repairs both front and back. I got a perfect "new" used hood for free. So again IMHO if someone didn't like the emblem and wanted a hood that wasn't drilled their prettyy easy to find...
Too late for me, yes you were a bit slow in your response.
Thanks, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Jack

+Quote Post
racerdon40
post May 10 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 20,849

If you want a badge put it on! Your car should be unique to you.

They say the bottom of the badge should be 80mm from the front of the hood. Although I think they look better further up (100-120mm) Mines at 80mm.

I would not baulk at buying a car with a badge added, neither would 95% of other 914 folks.

And yes I drilled BIG holes in my hood. Shock Horror.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 15 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #9

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

If you want a badge put it on! Your car should be unique to you.

This is the 'Concours' forum, which means your statement above is not relevant in this context ...

In terms of originality, the answer is easy and clear.

NO BADGE

There never was a factory installed badge on any production 914.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) Andy

+Quote Post
toolguy
post Nov 3 2011, 06:16 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 24,720

I disagree. . . Apparently the Porsche Factory did place a Hood Crest badge on the hood of at least one 914-6. . . Please look at both the 1970 and 1971 edition of the Factory six owners manual on page 71. . . That car is clearly a Euro six. . it has the sail panel black trim and what looks like a tan interior. Not sure if the same picture is used in the Four owners manual or not. But there is the Crest. .

Back in the 80's I was dinged at Concous for a badge on my old six. . I just showed the judges the factory picture and it wasn't an issue any longer.

+Quote Post
sixerdon
post Nov 6 2011, 10:51 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 731

QUOTE (toolguy @ Nov 3 2011, 03:16 PM) *
I disagree. . . Apparently the Porsche Factory did place a Hood Crest badge on the hood of at least one 914-6. . . Please look at both the 1970 and 1971 edition of the Factory six owners manual on page 71. . . That car is clearly a Euro six. . it has the sail panel black trim and what looks like a tan interior. Not sure if the same picture is used in the Four owners manual or not. But there is the Crest. .

Back in the 80's I was dinged at Concous for a badge on my old six. . I just showed the judges the factory picture and it wasn't an issue any longer.

The picture(s) you are referring to are those of a "pre-production" 914/6 and is likely to be 914114 which was used extensively for Porsche factory testing and for marketing in brochures. It has been a known fact for 40 years that there were no Porsche crest badges installed on the hood of any "production" 914 (4 or 6) that left the factory (Karmann or Porsche) for sale to the public.
In your case, with your own hood crest, the judge would have been correct, depending on the rules set out by the chief judge. Was the show full concours originality or just clean and presentation?
Personally, being a judge for many years, the crest means nothing IMHO. However, all things being equal, if there were another 914 competing against you in a concours based on originality, and they did not have the hood crest, your competitor would have the right to protest your hood crest.
Don

+Quote Post
mrgreenjeans
post Jan 11 2012, 12:05 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 25,418

I agree with Sir Andy and Pat Garvey......

seems like the hood badge controversy never will go away. Especially when talking show cars or in this case Concours comp. vehicles.

I am a purist and make no excuses for the presentation of my original 914. I absolutely love the fact it has a clean nose and no badge, as it represents the true heritage of the Porsche VW connection , made for both these companies by the coachbuilder Karmann.
If you want to place your badge on YOUR car, or it came on it from the P.O. , fine, but please accept the fact I am showing the car the way Porsche marketed it. No badge. And it does not bother me in the least it doesn't have one. I certainly feel the same way about the lack of a Ferrari badge on a Dino. Never came with it, so why does it need it, and what does it really do to authenticate anything ?

Here our teeners were sold as a Porsche, but everywhere else, were known to be a Vo - Po. Is either moniker effectively evoking something negative about our car to the unsuspecting viewer ? Not really.........it is what it is, with out any help from us as owners creating anything of great credibility to an already fine Marque.

A tip here.....if you are so inclined to place a badge, there is a very easy and removable method for doing this without drilling a couple of holes. Nip off the posts on the back of badge, and simply silicon glue to the hood. If you want it gone, just remove with a body worker's spatula. No hood holes to leak water, no unsightly marks, and no ruined hood for someone's future concours project.......just my 2 cents on the whole deal.

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 18 2012, 08:24 PM
Post #13

One must not forget that the fours never saw the light of the Porsche factory (sixes did). All 914's were a product of a joint venture with Porsche and VW. Hence the Euro insignia "VW-Porsche". All but the US fours had a Wolfsburg logo molded into the horn button. As I recall, ROW 914 fours had no Porsche script on the engine lide, as in the US.

Other than US marketing, the 914 was a VoPo. Only here was it marketed as a Porsche.

Regardless, no serious concour (not "councourse") 914 would sport a Porsche badge, as it would be an instant gig in a serious event.

+Quote Post
oakpark
post Nov 3 2012, 10:00 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 3,236

QUOTE (Pat Garvey @ Oct 18 2012, 05:24 PM) *
One must not forget that the fours never saw the light of the Porsche factory (sixes did). All 914's were a product of a joint venture with Porsche and VW. Hence the Euro insignia "VW-Porsche". All but the US fours had a Wolfsburg logo molded into the horn button. As I recall, ROW 914 fours had no Porsche script on the engine lide, as in the US.

Other than US marketing, the 914 was a VoPo. Only here was it marketed as a Porsche.

Regardless, no serious concour (not "councourse") 914 would sport a Porsche badge, as it would be an instant gig in a serious event.

I've enjoyed the discussion. I have a badge on my car (had it added during the mid-1980's at the time of a re-paint). I've never been in a concours where originality is judged, but if you're going to go into a national event, those are the rules. I personally like the look of it, and since I never intend to sell the car, I'll leave it. I've no argument either way, if you like it, go ahead.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: June 17, 2019 - 02:19 PM