IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tell us about your track or a/x experience level., Or your goals...
Trekkor
post Nov 8 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #41

I do things...

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 1,413

That's quite a history, Larry.
Nicely done!!

(IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

KT
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Nov 10 2007, 01:36 PM
Post #42

deactivated user

Group: Members
Member No.: 433

Realized I hadnt posted to this section.

As a kid my father AX'd a variety of cars from an MGA to Fiat 850 Coupe in SCCA and finally Porsche 356 with Super 90 motor in late 1960's. I grew up in a great era of Porsche motor sports and went to every race at Laguna Seca with Porche club in the 60's and 70's. My dad bought a 914 in the early 1970's and autocrossed the car on a fairly regular basis and I was the pit crew. I would install race wheels and tires, bolt on stinger muffller. (still trying to figure out how I got stuck with that job?) I even met Ferry Porsche in 1973 and have his autograph.

I lost my interest in cars when I became a competitive cyclist when I was about 15 - I was a velodrome track and criterium racer - fast races where cyclists need to antipate moves of other riders and have very good bike handling skills and know the fast line through a corner. I was known for my descent skills while I was dropped often by lighter smaller riders in the hills I could lose most riders on down hill runs and in sprints. I also did Madison style racing at a Veledrome in San Jose for a couple years. Pretty much did that into my mid 20's. In my late 20's and 30's I got into mountain biking and would rip down trails in santa cruz mountains. I mention this because this is where I tap most of my car handling ability. Greg Lemond jumped into F2000 racing without any expereince and did fairly well so the sports do have some cross over.

1990's still no competive driving in fact I didnt even have a sports car - I was driving a jeep!

Then in 2001 I bought a Porsche Boxster which then lead to me buying a 914. In 2002 I met John Williamson of Otto's and he convinced me to go to Streets of Willow with POC. My car was 100% stock with no swaybars, it had KYB shocks and some cheap Sumitomo tires. This was my first ever competive event spent first day in class learning all basics and then doing skid pad. Then out on the track with John. What a treat. He taught me an incredible amount in one day (picture attached is my 914 screaming for some swaybars). Second day was time trial and got within a second of the track record for my class. Then never went back as I had to move to Nor Cal.

Then finally in 2004 a couple years after my POC weekend I went to 3 day techniques of racing at Infienon. That was fun! I was put into group of faster drivers and I still laugh as it was me, the mid 40's guy, with to two 20 year old guys that were expereinced go karters. When we came back from our timed laps our instructor said wow thats a fast time looking at the 20 year old and he said youre number 48 right? And I said no that was me. LOL! I learned a lot about driving fast in that class and highly reccomend the expereince. Although prices are getting crazy now!

Then I got into AXing with PCA a few times later in 2004. 2005 I started to get more serious and show up for more PCA AX events making my car faster and lighter. late 2006 I went to my first track day with Track Master Racing and followed Trekkor around the track that was fun! Then this year Nathan and I tore my car apart and turned it into a fast track day car. I have done about 5 open track day events this year and about 9 autocrosses so I'm definitely starting to get a feel for this stuff now. Oh yeah and I did the Hoopa Hillclimb this year! What a blast!

I really want to get my SCCA License early next year and try some wheel to wheel racing. Guess I'm a late bloomer? LOL!
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
KenJ
post Nov 15 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 13,963

Sorry Larry, Chili.... I've got you by 7 years. First AX in 1968 in a 356C I bought while stationed in Deutschland - brought it back to the US and sold it to go back to school. I didn't AX again until 1999/2000 and my first instructor was none other than Larry Sharp. "Gas, Gas, Gas" :notworthy:

KJ

+Quote Post
dion9146
post Dec 7 2007, 12:43 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 2,071

Just realized that I hadn't posted on this thread either, but I need to frequent the site more than once a month to notice these things....I've got a small bit of experience whether anyone is interested or not.

Spent my first 12 years of automotive obsession playing with 50's customs and going low and slow. I didn't even know what a road course was - no racing content nor desire.

Living on my own after graduating from college and started looking for a small 5 speed to play with on the weekends; maybe one of them little British cars or something. Spotted a 914 in Hemmings that was local. Had no idea what it was, but it had a 5 speed. Looked at it, bought it, and the Porsche illness started as well as the restoration. At the same time, I also moved in with a new roommate who grew up a huge fan of road racing and spent his Summers at Mid-Ohio and the Glen. My education started.

Met my Wife and she wanted to trade her Mustang GT in for one of those cute little Dodge Neons that just hit the market. At the same time, also read a great article about the early successes of Neons in this thing they call autocross. I told her about it and she immediately wanted to try it. So we attended the local club's autocross school and spent the Summer playing with the Neon where she took the DSL championship. At the same time, my 914 started to look more like an autocross car than a restored weekend car, but it still wasn't being used. I should have researched the price of Porsche parts before buying tha dam thing.

Year 2 I bought a Neon ACR to campaign in D stock, and my autocross involvement really picked up. I was doing 2 a month, traveling around the state and having a blast. The ACR was a great autocross car and a blast of an everyday driver. But by year 3 I finally got the 914 on track and by this time the only class it qualified for was AP. It was way underpowered for AP, but I had some other local 914s to play with and got infected by the handling and fun factor of the 914. SO, I played with the 914 for the next 2 seasons until the rear trailing arm broke and I found terminal rust throughout the car. I dumped the chassis and bought a slant nose 6 off of Wayne Dempsey with the intention to restore it, not race it (there I go again). Well, it ended up on the track doing schools and open track days at Mid-Ohio and Nelsons' Ledges until I missed a shift at MO. The 914 got shoved to the front of the garage while I played with my other new toys (see below).

Somewhere during the 6 restoration, I spotted a vintage Formula Vee for sale locally. I went and checked it out and it was a basket case. But hey, I've rebuilt 2 Porsches, how hard could this be? It is in the aircooled family, right? Well, it wasn't hard at all, but it sent me down a completely new path. Instead of spending my Summers watching people have fun at Mid-Ohio, I could start having fun with them too. However, I quickly realized the opportunity for racing vintage Vees was not as much as I had hoped, so I sold that car and bought a good used regional FV and went racing for a couple of years. The third year I converted the FV to a Formula First and spent a season getting that class going. I even managed to win a race. After a couple of bad accidents, too many blown engines, too much money, and the birth of my little Girl, I hung up the wheel to wheel crap. Like I told my Wife, I can always do this again in the future, but now I want to watch my kids grow up.

But, it let me get the 914 back out, rebuild the engine and have some great Summer fun with me and my Son. Sure I'll end up getting back on track in a driver school or open track day, but for now I'm content with helping friends at the track and reading about all of the adventures of folks on this site. I do enjoy the vids, and it gets my blood going sometimes. But for some reason, I have no desire to do autocrosses anymore. Not saying there is anything wrong with autocrosses, but the urge just isn't there. But, I'll never say never......

That's my .02 story.

Dion

+Quote Post
ax914
post Jan 20 2008, 09:47 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 14,849

Hi everyone. I am from SC and a first time poster. I just found this site due to intrest in putting my 914 back on the road and course. I started autocrossing my Dads Lotus Elan when I was sixteen. I was hooked. So when I graduated from high school I had my eyes set on a nice 914. I bought the car and started autocrossing. It was a 72 914 with a 1.8 now in it. I alway did very well even being protest by other 914 owners because I was always 3-6 seconds faster than them. So I let them push me to A modified. I did very well there to . But being young I did not have the money to alway fix the car right and wore it down quick. So for the past 10 years the car has sat. I bought a 2.0 8 years ago put it in. I then had a dealer tag so I could drive it but still it was wore out. I then came across a f440 sor 700$ and sold my 2.0 engine to pay for the f440. I have autorossed the f440 eight to ten times and it is a FTD (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) car almost every time out. But I miss my 914 and am ready to start fixing her back up. (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) I now have a 74 1.8 and side shift transmission and just got her running. I have the rest of the 74 and need to change over the suspension and brakes. I hope that my business continues to grow and money to flow so I can autocross some mo.

+Quote Post
PBR
post Nov 12 2008, 04:57 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 16,351

Hrm... been a while since anybody added to this. Let's see...

First track day in summer of '06. Spun twice @ LRP. In hindsight, I feel bad for my instructor from that day. Must've been a helluva ride for him.

I've been tracking throughout the open season up here in the NE, hoping to reach instructor level in a year or two. All stock equipment (except pads, fluid, tires, and chip from PO) on a '98 M3.

Looking to retire the bimmer and use the 914 as a track car starting next season. Goals are to get into FV or some other form of Formula open wheel in about 3 years or so. Entered an indoor kart league this winter. Never tried karting so we'll have to see how well this goes...

+Quote Post
mike the snake
post Dec 26 2008, 05:44 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 17,314

As a kid, my Dad and I restored old Fords, a couple woodies, a 48 convertable, and others.

I built a 600hp Dodge Coronet when I was 15 in high school auto shop. I've owned many hotrods since, a GTO, 64 Dart GT vert, 49 Plymouth, a bunch of Corvairs.

Initially I was into drag racing, but after getting a Corvair I found my road racing passion. I Autocrossed a stock 66 Corsa, and later I built a 66 V-8 Corsa, which I also AX'd. That car was heavily modified, and to this day was THE most fun car I've owned.

In 2000 I started racing offroad radio controlled cars (not being able to afford the real thing), and in 05 I was a pro sponsored racer ranked 21st in the US in 1/8 scale truggies.
I've flown model sailplanes for over 30 years, presently i fly gliders built for speed (Dynamic Soaring), and we hold the world record for ALL model aircraft at 371mph!

I work with composites, I worked at a glider airport repairing composite sailplanes, and presently i am working on a personal Dynamic Soaring glider design that is CAD designed with CNC cut molds. This design will go over 450mph hopefully.

I have wished for years to get back to the feelings I had when I autocrossed, and I finally decided to just Do It, so I went and bought a 914-6 race car. It is WAY too much car for my experience level, but it was a great deal, and totally what I want. I'll need to take things slowly.

It needs some parts, and some updates, and I'm hoping next year some time to get it running again, and to attend a track day or time trial.

I have a friend who is a driving instructor who has offered me 1/2 off on the race driving school, and I plan to take him up on that offer as well.

I'm looking forward to meeting people and new friends in this new world. I enjoy reading this forum, it is a great resource.

I'm all in now!

+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Dec 26 2008, 09:31 PM
Post #48

I do things...

Mike, let's have some fun this next season!

KT

+Quote Post
hsp-sandiego
post Mar 5 2009, 03:23 AM
Post #49

hsp-sandiego

Member No.: 14,776

absolutely love any autocross and particulary DE day... have 13 total combined PCA events under my wing with 2 scca events for 15 total. running a 1911cc FI l jet car that i drive almost every day because I am hooked. Wife is cool with it any hope for my son to drive the car some day after we both attend the bondurant school and he is well into shifter Karting. the car will be a beast by then! car is well sorted and all is left to do is drive and that is what i really enjoy.

harry price
Attached Image
Attached Image the rivis in this photos are long gone... i threw them in the trash.

+Quote Post
hsp-sandiego
post Mar 5 2009, 03:27 AM
Post #50

hsp-sandiego

Member No.: 14,776

I attended my first AutoX a few weeks back with San Diego region PCA at Qualcomm stadium.

I like it. I think I will try it again :D

B (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

classico.

+Quote Post
ax914
post Apr 14 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 14,849

QUOTE (hsp-sandiego @ Mar 5 2009, 01:27 AM) *
I attended my first AutoX a few weeks back with San Diego region PCA at Qualcomm stadium.

I like it. I think I will try it again :D

B (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

classico.

on the road again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Dec 12 2009, 03:36 PM
Post #52

I do things...

QUOTE (trekkor @ May 9 2006, 10:28 PM) *
On the big track I have no racing experience and will always keep it that way.

Ooooops! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif)

KT

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Dec 14 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #53

deactivated user

QUOTE (Trekkor @ Dec 12 2009, 01:36 PM) *
On the big track I have no racing experience and will always keep it that way.

Ooooops! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif)

KT

LOL!

+Quote Post
crv1
post Dec 17 2009, 08:31 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 19,849

joining in.

I confess, I am an Autox/track Junkie.
Started autox in 2005, . I knew very little about cars. I had been driving a wagon for 10 plus years when I bought a mercedes coupe. I heard about something having to do with driving your car around cones at qualcomm. Went done to watch and next thing you know I put down 25 dollars and proceeded to spin my car 2 or 3 times and come in dead last. But, I had a huge smile going the whole time and was hooked. I had a 19-20 year old instructor and next thing you know I bought a Suzuki with him as a co driver to compete in SCCA STS- competitive class.. From there I was introduced to BMW and Porsche club. I had the pleasure last year of driving a new f430 scudderia at nationals. Unfortunately, the car needs a bit more development to be competitive. Never drivin' a car with that kind of power! what a car. I'm Used to driving low hp boxster- probably my favorite car so far to drive. Although, I drove an LMP car at Big Willow and that was intense.
Looking to continue to Drive/ tweek/tune a national competitive Boxster for next years Nationals. It would be nice to make it up to the mid engine shoot out!
Cars I have competed in and or spun below:
Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Dec 19 2009, 06:18 PM
Post #55

deactivated user

QUOTE (crv1 @ Dec 17 2009, 05:31 PM) *
Looking to continue to Drive/ tweek/tune a national competitive Boxster for next years Nationals. It would be nice to make it up to the mid engine shoot out!
Cars I have competed in and or spun below:

What class is that Boxster competive in with those wheels? Street Prepared?

+Quote Post
crv1
post Dec 25 2009, 03:10 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 19,849

What class is that Boxster competive in with those wheels? Street Prepared?
[/quote]
Yes, it's BSP with tough competition against the EVO's . Should be close once the car is sorted out.
I think you could run FP in yours and of course XP. But you would need a least a 3.6 or more to be competitive in XP. ( I may do that after this year in BSP, see how it goes). It would be great to have the car at 2300-400 lbs and a 3.6x51 425hp! Or maybe find a salvaged cayman in a year or so... got to dream

+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Oct 2 2010, 01:21 PM
Post #57

I do things...

Since November of last year, my 24 Hours of LeMons team has logged 4000 race miles over four races.

I have 1000 of those wheel to wheel miles!
Looking forward to next years schedule.

(IMG:http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs303.snc4/40485_433236529328_671564328_4506955_1601723_n.jpg)

KT

+Quote Post
jockellis
post Jan 22 2011, 02:23 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 21,798

In this section, can someone tell me about Brad Roberts. From his posts, it is obvious that his knowledge about making 914s go fast is incredible. But reading a fairly recent Excellence, I find he is one of the progenitors of Boxster racing in BSR class. Any 917s hidden in his closet?

+Quote Post
DaculaWeather
post Apr 6 2011, 09:34 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 24,310

I started autocrossing in 1973 (yea, I'm old) and have done it off and on since then. I use to drive big CP cars, Pontiac Firebirds mostly. Starting in 2003 I ran ESP in a Z28 but a few years later, I started driving a F500 in the FModified class (the car is in my avatar). I trophied 4 out of the 5 times I went to the National Championships (4th, 2 5th's, and a 7th) in it and won many National Tour and SE Division Championship events, but never the big one.

The F500 was traded for the SBC equipped 914. 1800 lbs and 400 hp makes for an exciting ride! Lot's of changes and tweaking will be necessary to make this competitive in the E Modified class for National competition, but the owner is already working on it.

+Quote Post
Han Solo
post Aug 23 2013, 01:15 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 27,361

I started participating in SCCA Solo (autocross) in 2008 with my stock '88 924S. A non-OEM clutch classed the car in CSP (brutal). I changed to Konis, M030 sway bars, racing seats and throttle cam but I realized that car would need $$$ to be competitive in Street Prepared. I dabbled with a 944S and a 951 when four years ago I decided to go for it. I bought a 2007 Cayman S to run in AS. Last year a campaigned that car with dual adjustable Konis (fronts only), GT3 front sway bar and Hoosier A6 at four SCCA Tire Rack Solo National Tours and got first place AS for the Southern States Championship in Valdosta GA. I participated in the 2012 Solo National Championship in Lincoln NE. I've been to three National Tour so far this year. Mean while, I'm participating in at least twelve Tennessee Region regional Solo events and a handful of other regions events every year. Next year I'm considering campaigning a ASP '99 Boxster (which may be re-classed BSP) while starting a 914 project targeted for ??? class.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 18, 2019 - 08:24 AM