IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> accelerator pedal pushrod, pushrod keeps falling off (whats the problem)
Ant914
post Feb 1 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,978

My pushrod for the accelorator cable keeps popping out. Luckily I'm just working on her right now. It pops off both the pedal and the other coupler side. What parts do I have to change to make it stay on?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Feb 1 2010, 05:54 PM
Post #2

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 643

Can you post a pic of the part, I think I have one.

+Quote Post
Ant914
post Feb 1 2010, 06:04 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Ant914 @ Feb 1 2010, 03:23 PM) *
My pushrod for the accelorator cable keeps popping out. Luckily I'm just working on her right now. It pops off both the pedal and the other coupler side. What parts do I have to change to make it stay on?

Sure I will take a photo of it. It connects to the backside of the gas pedal about 5" long with a ball head on both ends. Does this part normally wear out or should i be concerned about the parts it snaps into also. Could those be worn out as well. Thanks

+Quote Post
maitaiken
post Feb 1 2010, 09:57 PM
Post #4

Old "teener"

Member No.: 4,708

Does your pedal move side to side more than an inch and a half? If so the pedal is shot and needs to be replaced/
Ken...

+Quote Post
john rogers
post Feb 1 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 391

I think you need a new pedal and if I remember correctly they are still available from Porsche but the price will shock you. That will cure the problem of the ball popping out at the rubber pedal and at the other end you need a new connector and those are also available but from race supply shops since I think the one on 914s are actually metric. If you look inside the cup fitting there should be a wire that acts like a spring to hold the fitting onto the ball and many times they fall apart so then the pedal will not stay together. The ball on the short lever arm that is part of the pedal assembly hardly ever wears out since it is hardened steel.

+Quote Post
PorVdub
post Feb 1 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 366

yes, could be the ball socket full of dirt or mangled / worn, however if the peddel pivots point is wobbly, and that allows the peddle lots of side to side motion, that motion will tend to twist out the ball socket. eventualy the stock peddle pivot does fail. it is only a hinge joint incased in the rubber of the peddle.

new ones can be pricey, used one that are good are not that common, used ones that are worn are common.

youcan repair one, purists will think tacky, but you can at a hardware store get a galvenized steel hinge, a flat strap type, inch and half or so long (width of the pedel near base) you can then screw this thru the peddles bottom, and the floor. instant $2 hinge repair Ta Da!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rock_band.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

tradisrad had this set up for long time till he got a new peddle, worked flawless for years and years.

Of course if you got a real cherry original car, I'd not want to drill into the floor pan, and try to find a better stock peddle. however if you do make the hinge, do not forget primer, some chaulking, and under coat. else it is a rust spot waiting to happen.

else try high performance house in redwood city. rich may have a new or good used one for you. he wont sell you a worn out one good 914 store.

golly at least it is not a sudden accelerating toyotomobile.

+Quote Post
Ant914
post Feb 2 2010, 12:48 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Ant914 @ Feb 1 2010, 04:04 PM) *

Sure I will take a photo of it. It connects to the backside of the gas pedal about 5" long with a ball head on both ends. Does this part normally wear out or should i be concerned about the parts it snaps into also. Could those be worn out as well. Thanks

I will measure the side to side movement and i guess i will have to remove the pedal to see how loose the ball is while in the sockets of both ends. Shouldnt they have made the pushrod the part to replace because of wear? Seams like to me because it is the easier thing to get to. Thanks for the input guys.
Will parts from my 76 work on my 73'?

+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Feb 2 2010, 02:44 AM
Post #8

dangrouche

Member No.: 2,012

take the pedal off, examine the ball socket for integrity. hold the pedal and flex the hinged portion side to side, if it flexes at all, it is shot. you can get replacement pedals on ebay, or aftermarket aluminum ones as well.

+Quote Post
Ant914
post Feb 2 2010, 01:27 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (dangrouche @ Feb 2 2010, 12:44 AM) *
take the pedal off, examine the ball socket for integrity. hold the pedal and flex the hinged portion side to side, if it flexes at all, it is shot. you can get replacement pedals on ebay, or aftermarket aluminum ones as well.

I will do that today thanks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 21, 2019 - 10:05 PM