Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Name that gallery, Engine block gallery identification
-JR-
post Apr 9 2019, 10:33 PM
Post #1

Life goes faster at 150MPH

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,055

I'm tracing down a significant oil leak on the front of my type IV engine.

At first I thought it was the oil pump but all seemed ok. BTW it's a leak that I've been struggling with ever since this engine was rebuilt the first, second and third time!

I've been dis-heartened by the leak after so many attempts that I let the engine sit on the shop floor for over a year.

I just returned to assemble and sell off the motor when I noticed something I hadn't before.

The plug pictured in the attachment had a visible drop of oil below it, but the block was completely dry all around and above this plug. You can see the yellow oil against the case.

Digging around the net for a half hour I can't see to locate anyone talking about the purpose of this plug. Does anyone know here what it does? Is is plugging an oil gallery?

This might finally explain why it leaks so much. All I've been able to tell to date is that it comes from behind the fan shroud and doesn't appear to be from the sealed gallery plugs on the opposite side of the motor.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  image1.jpeg ( 582.77K ) Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  image2.jpeg ( 795.69K ) Number of downloads: 3

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dr. 914
post Apr 10 2019, 07:39 AM
Post #2

Dr. 914

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20,846

you have the typical galley plug leak, there is a kit, and a procedure to replace, many have them available including us. You can pop the old plug out then gut threads and screw in a new plug. These were installed by the factory when making the case, they were used for access in the machining process. Over the years they loosen and pop out. Lucky for you that yours did not pop out while driving. When that happens it causes a mortal oil leak which ruins the engine

QUOTE (-JR- @ Apr 9 2019, 10:33 PM) *

At first I thought it was the oil pump but all seemed ok. BTW it's a leak that I've been struggling with ever since this engine was rebuilt the first, second and third time!

I've been dis-heartened by the leak after so many attempts that I let the engine sit on the shop floor for over a year.

I just returned to assemble and sell off the motor when I noticed something I hadn't before.

The plug pictured in the attachment had a visible drop of oil below it, but the block was completely dry all around and above this plug. You can see the yellow oil against the case.

Digging around the net for a half hour I can't see to locate anyone talking about the purpose of this plug. Does anyone know here what it does? Is is plugging an oil gallery?

This might finally explain why it leaks so much. All I've been able to tell to date is that it comes from behind the fan shroud and doesn't appear to be from the sealed gallery plugs on the opposite side of the motor.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
-JR-
post Apr 10 2019, 04:25 PM
Post #3

Life goes faster at 150MPH

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,055

Thanks very much!

I'll have a probe around your site to see what I can find.

Not sure if I'm going to put this motor back in the car as I think it's long over due for me to start my 914-6 GT project. I've had a 3.6 twin plug waiting to get in there for over 10 years now! I think I'll repair the plug and reassemble the motor so I can sell it. Should be worth more that way at least.

Pleased to say that the steel flares I got from you are still in perfect un-corroded shape too.

-JR-

QUOTE (Dr. 914 @ Apr 10 2019, 04:39 AM) *
you have the typical galley plug leak, there is a kit, and a procedure to replace, many have them available including us. You can pop the old plug out then gut threads and screw in a new plug. These were installed by the factory when making the case, they were used for access in the machining process. Over the years they loosen and pop out. Lucky for you that yours did not pop out while driving. When that happens it causes a mortal oil leak which ruins the engine

Thanks!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 21, 2019 - 10:03 PM