Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1973 914 1.7L need engine adviice
gplracer
post Sep 6 2019, 06:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,664

I grew up a 914 that my dad drove. It was a 1973 1.7L. When I went to college in 1985 I took the car with me. A year later the engine got very tired. My dad bought me more reliable transportation. One weekend I came home my beloved car was gone. My dad had sold it.

Fast forward 34 year later and I have found the car! It was painted shortly after being purchased but never fixe up. I have the opportunity to buy the car back. I know the engine needs to be rebuilt. I do not know if I want to rebuild the 1.7L or find a 2.0L engine or doing a v8 conversion. I will take any advice you can give me.

It looks like getting a 2.0L motor and having someone rebuild it is not cheap. That is why I was considering a different power plant. An LS might be more reliable and have more power. I do not know what to do.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dr. 914
post Sep 6 2019, 08:44 AM
Post #2

Dr. 914

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20,846

the best thing to do is get your original car back into its original configuration as you remembered it. An engine rebuild on a 217 is cheap if you drop it out yourself and remove all of the sheetmetal and fuel injection. Can do it for 3000

v8 conversions are expensive and ruin the car

QUOTE (gplracer @ Sep 6 2019, 06:20 AM) *
I grew up a 914 that my dad drove. It was a 1973 1.7L. When I went to college in 1985 I took the car with me. A year later the engine got very tired. My dad bought me more reliable transportation. One weekend I came home my beloved car was gone. My dad had sold it.

Fast forward 34 year later and I have found the car! It was painted shortly after being purchased but never fixe up. I have the opportunity to buy the car back. I know the engine needs to be rebuilt. I do not know if I want to rebuild the 1.7L or find a 2.0L engine or doing a v8 conversion. I will take any advice you can give me.

It looks like getting a 2.0L motor and having someone rebuild it is not cheap. That is why I was considering a different power plant. An LS might be more reliable and have more power. I do not know what to do.

+Quote Post
jockellis
post Sep 9 2019, 08:32 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,798

Iíve been hearing the phrase: Aircooled Porscheís are rising in price. Iíve never heard it said that homemade engine swap Porsches are rising in price. The LS1 or V-6 conversions that Iíve seen in the past did t seem to be much different than well-maintained, rust free T4-engined models. If someone took a $2,000 914 and an LA1 to a professional, the first thing he would look for is body integrity. I donít know how many new posters tell about their rust-free 914s only to discover that it is hidden by fresh paint. Iím going to guess that people willing to pay the price for truly rust-free 914s are the kind of folks who intend to keep them as close to factory door perfect as they can. These cars may have been the low cost models when built but now have seen their value rise above 924 and 944 models save the GT or turbo versions.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 22, 2019 - 04:07 AM