Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1.7 Auxliairy Air Valve
rivs914
post Sep 1 2019, 04:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,204

Hi All,

My '73 1.7 Fuel injected engine seems to run rich... In fact, the engine runs very nicely when cold (with nice accelerator pedal response) but once it get warm (after 20min drive or more), the engine feels like it floods and the accelerator pedal has not the same response than when the engine is cold (it seems to hesitate). Also, when I hit the accelerator pedal, the RPM stay hight (2300-2500rpm) and get down very slowly, until I press the clutch pedal (RPM goes now down around 900-1000RPM)... If I Try to restart a little time later (> 15-20 min), it is very difficult to restart.... I need to press a little bit the gaz pedal. It is not the same when I stop the engine and restart immediatly after, it starts well. It is difficult just when I let it cool down couple of minute.

I'm suspecting the auxiliary air valve not closing.... I take some reading today, with the engine warm and read around 42 ohms on the AAR electrical wire. I try also to run without the AAR connected but no dfference.

What are your thinking? Is AAR needs to be replaced? I want to be sure 'cause that is around 300$...

PS: I already try different things, the head temp sensor is almost new, I try to run without the Cold Start Valve connected (no difference) and I've just adjusted the Throttle switch.

Tks for your comments and advice
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dr. 914
post Sep 3 2019, 09:06 AM
Post #2

Dr. 914

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20,846

If I was going to guess, I would say that the head temp sensor is starting to fail, yet could be dwell timing manifold pressure sensor or the decel valve (decel would cause the car to let the idle stick high for a moment)

QUOTE (rivs914 @ Sep 1 2019, 04:44 PM) *
Hi All,

My '73 1.7 Fuel injected engine seems to run rich... In fact, the engine runs very nicely when cold (with nice accelerator pedal response) but once it get warm (after 20min drive or more), the engine feels like it floods and the accelerator pedal has not the same response than when the engine is cold (it seems to hesitate). Also, when I hit the accelerator pedal, the RPM stay hight (2300-2500rpm) and get down very slowly, until I press the clutch pedal (RPM goes now down around 900-1000RPM)... If I Try to restart a little time later (> 15-20 min), it is very difficult to restart.... I need to press a little bit the gaz pedal. It is not the same when I stop the engine and restart immediatly after, it starts well. It is difficult just when I let it cool down couple of minute.

I'm suspecting the auxiliary air valve not closing.... I take some reading today, with the engine warm and read around 42 ohms on the AAR electrical wire. I try also to run without the AAR connected but no dfference.

What are your thinking? Is AAR needs to be replaced? I want to be sure 'cause that is around 300$...

PS: I already try different things, the head temp sensor is almost new, I try to run without the Cold Start Valve connected (no difference) and I've just adjusted the Throttle switch.

Tks for your comments and advice

+Quote Post
rivs914
post Sep 3 2019, 05:11 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,204

Tks for the great advice,

For the decel valve problem, would this also happen when the engine is cold? In my case, it's only worst once the engine is warm...

+Quote Post
Dr. 914
post Sep 4 2019, 03:35 PM
Post #4

Dr. 914

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20,846

would be worse when the engine is warm

QUOTE (rivs914 @ Sep 3 2019, 05:11 PM) *
Tks for the great advice,

For the decel valve problem, would this also happen when the engine is cold? In my case, it's only worst once the engine is warm...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 22, 2019 - 03:19 AM