Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brake Pedal Travel
bobforman
post Jul 4 2018, 01:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,635

Seems like I have a lot of travel from the top of the pedal position to where the brakes engage. When they do engage the car stops well. Is there a standard distance and, if necessary, how does one adjust the travel length?

A second question while I'm at it: On Pelican Parts site there is great debate regarding the advantages of moving to a 19 MM master cylinder from the factory 17 MM. Is there a definitive answer to this matter?

Thanks, Bob
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dr. 914
post Jul 5 2018, 08:38 AM
Post #2

Dr. 914

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20,846

It is normal with a 17mm cylinder to have some pedal travel, this coupled with the squish feeling caused by the equalizer raises concern by many when first driving a 914. Check the free play in the pedal to master cylinder rod, and if correct then the brake function as you describe is normal. Switching to a 19mm cylinder will decrease pedal travel but increase pressure needed to brake. I see no reason to switch, as is removes a bit of the light feeling of driving a 914.

QUOTE (bobforman @ Jul 4 2018, 02:59 PM) *
Seems like I have a lot of travel from the top of the pedal position to where the brakes engage. When they do engage the car stops well. Is there a standard distance and, if necessary, how does one adjust the travel length?

A second question while I'm at it: On Pelican Parts site there is great debate regarding the advantages of moving to a 19 MM master cylinder from the factory 17 MM. Is there a definitive answer to this matter?

Thanks, Bob

+Quote Post
bobforman
post Jul 10 2018, 10:25 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,635

Thanks, Doc.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 20, 2019 - 07:31 AM