IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

22 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boxster V8 conversion !!!, Goto last few pages and see the LS1 being fit!!!
Boxster V8 conversion !!!
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 172
Guests cannot vote 
Brad Roberts
post Oct 27 2007, 09:59 PM
Post #21

914 GOD

Group: Members
Member No.: 8

Hi Allan,

How did you handle the starter? Did you use a GM starter on the block and cut the bellhousing? Any pics?

B
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nocones
post Oct 27 2007, 11:16 PM
Post #22

Sportscar lunatic

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 2,220

What he said!
I'd love to see photos, and hear about the details of installation.

+Quote Post
ajracer
post Oct 28 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 1,945

Gentlemen:

The starter issue was one of the main challenges but I quickly realized there were a few
ways to address my concern and find a solution. NO we didn't use a GM starter, however
we used the stock GM starter location with a custom starter mount (which set the drive
gear about two inches closer and stock GM).

The actual start is a gear reduction unit that was provided by the starter company, and not
one that he released the actual details to me. But from my understanding it is similar to the
GM reduction starter other than it has a different drive gear to engage the ring gear. Also
I believe it was a Porsche 9 tooth / pitch drive gear.

In regards to the bellhousing, it was only very slightly modified in order to make way for
the starter drive gear clearance issues, and a removal of a casing tab which interfered with
one of the engine mounting bolts.

Some photos are attached and or will follow, but the real challenges were with the custom
components and work that is not seen. Below is a littl eintro I provide elsewhere to some
others that had also inquired regarding my Boxster V8 conversion. Happy Motoring !

A BIG QUESTION for many is more than just Tranny Prices vs Conversion costs !!
you can quite easily pick-up a used Boxster tranny (5 spd.) for about $ 1,500 - $ 2,000.
BUT you need to know the following items are necessary for the conversion in addition to
the actual tranny costs:

- two minor modifications to the tranny casing, non structure mods.
- hydraulic Clutch pedal assembly conversion.
- conversion of axles/hubs/brakes to the Porsche 5 bolt.
- Porsche 5 bolt axle assemblies and special length axles.
- Custom made adapter plate
- Custom built flywheel (for your particular engine)
- Custom Pilot Bushing/Bearing Spacer
- Special Porsche Starter Ring Gear
- Custom Clutch Assembly, Kelvar Disc.
- Custom Starter & Mounting Bracket.

No of the above items are commercially available, but would need to be designed, engineered and then custom built for you. This project was a project car for me and not
a business for me, however I did make templates of all the components mentioned above (except the hydraulic clutch conversion & 5 Bolt axles) and retained all my engineering drawings in order to re-duplicate the process or to sell to others if and when the need might arise. In my personal opinion to do this conversion it would cost over $ 5,000 for all the pieces including the tranny to complete the project. This would also depend upon your abilities as to what you can do yourself and what you would have to pay others to do. So you can see it is still a costly undertaking, BUT one sweet tranny, shifter and well working unit !

Allan
Toronto, Canada
Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 29 2007, 02:16 PM
Post #24

914 GOD

Allan,

You did a great job!

I would like to talk to you about the adapter/clutch setup (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

B

+Quote Post
ajracer
post Oct 29 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,945

Brad:

I would welcome your inquiry and discussion; I think we can all learn from others
and usually find a workable solution to the challenges. Please drop me an email and
or PM with contact info and we can talk.

Allan Mayhew
Toronto, On CDN

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 29 2007, 09:26 PM
Post #26

914 GOD

Thanks Allan.

B

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jan 9 2008, 06:18 PM
Post #27

914 GOD

Not sure how this came back up.. (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif) somebody must have voted in the poll (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

B

+Quote Post
BKLA
post Jan 9 2008, 06:25 PM
Post #28

navel contemplation

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 4,590

What about a Fortin Transaxle? Will they support that HP?

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jan 9 2008, 06:39 PM
Post #29

914 GOD

No problem, but they are nearly double what he has into this (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

B

+Quote Post
Brett W
post May 25 2008, 09:53 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

The Boxster Gear box was rated by Getrag at 380nm of torque. Thats is about 280 ft lbs. Not much better than the 901, but at least you could use first gear without breaking it off. Here are the specs.

http://www.getrag.de/en/241

+Quote Post
914 Engine Surge...
post May 26 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #31

914 Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

we have teamed up with the guys at Beck to put Boxster engines/ trannys into 550 replicas. The first one is underway now. I am building one into a test bed for our engine development because making changes to it will be a breeze...

I ok buy your old engine cores if you swap to a V8.

+Quote Post
andys
post May 27 2008, 12:21 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 721

ajracer,

If you are adapting a GEN I SBC to the 5 speed Boxster (nee Audi model 012), there may perhaps be an easier way to go about if my information is sound (?). According to the guys on the GT40 forum, the SBC to Audi (model 016 5 speed) Kennedy Eng. adapter plate will also work on the Boxster/Audi trans (5 speed). So too will their flywheel, clutch, and starter. If this is in fact the case, then it would save a great deal of work. I do know that the Boxster/Audi trans input shaft is recessed past the bellhousing surface, where as the model 016 Audi trans input shaft proturdes slightly ahead. This would of course require some changes to make up the difference.

On my GEN III (LS1) to Audi 6 speed I had to make up quite a few of custom parts to get it to work. The GEN III motor has some major differences over the GEN I SBC.

With regard to the Boxster conversion, it would seem to me that utilizing the modern Chevy GEN III (or even GEN IV) light weight aluminum V8 which has a really good EFI would be a better choice than the old school GEN I motor. IMHO.

Andys

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 2 2008, 04:43 PM
Post #33

"Luke, use the torque"

Member No.: 172

Why not the 4.2 Audi v8?

+Quote Post
andys
post Jun 2 2008, 05:58 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 721

Andyrew,

The Audi V8 is big by comparison, overhead cams and towers, cam drive, etc. The GEN III Chevy OHV is pretty compact and makes very good power out of the box. Electronics (as you know) is another issue to deal with. I don't know anything about the Audi (stand alone, intergrated, etc), but with the GEN III Chevy there are several vendors that modify/make custom/re-program harnesses and PCM's, so no surprises there. The Audi would of course bolt right up (but you'll need Euro parts, as A8 V8's were never imported into the US with manual transmissions.

Andys

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 5 2008, 01:49 AM
Post #35

914 GOD

Lost but not forgotten!

Should have some Audi engineering questions answered tomorrow (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I asked if the Audi V8 had the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the V6 S4 twin turbo (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

B

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 5 2008, 02:01 AM
Post #36

"Luke, use the torque"

I believe so, They have the same trani I believe, but I've never pulled them so.. We'll see! If they did that means that its the same housing as the 1.8t and the 2.8 engine.

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 5 2008, 03:04 AM
Post #37

914 GOD

I know the 1.8T has the same bellhousing (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Andrew,

do you think you can locate me a Jetta or Gulf TDI engine+ tranny? Or the Audi TDI?

B

+Quote Post
davidginsberg
post Sep 5 2008, 03:07 AM
Post #38

creator of reality

Member No.: 10,050

I looked into getting the 4.2 engine to use with my 1.8t/boxster trans swap. It is the same bolt pattern. And the s4 4.2 is a REALLY small v8. They shortened the whole engine allot by placing the timing belts on the rear of the engine.

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 5 2008, 03:34 AM
Post #39

914 GOD

It is the same bolt pattern

SCORE!!!

Getting the itch to convert something.. with something cool (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

B

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 5 2008, 10:31 AM
Post #40

"Luke, use the torque"

I know the 1.8T has the same bellhousing (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Andrew,

do you think you can locate me a Jetta or Gulf TDI engine+ tranny? Or the Audi TDI?

B

Ohh thats a hard one. I dont see them at all on the forums I am regular to.. Lemme check some others.

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 26, 2019 - 04:22 PM