IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Introducing an old member with a new car, ... and some weirdness in my FI hose layout ...
michael_oberg
post Feb 4 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,039

Hello!

I have been following these 914 boards since the beginning of the last decade, lurking, posting a tiny bit, and just lusting after 914's in general. Late last year I picked up a great-for-the-price silver '76 2.0, and with a gifted torsion bar from Kevin O'Shea and the Chilton & 700 tech tips from Michael Pieper, and after replacing all of the normal wear and tear items (plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, points, condensor, etc) I been having a blast driving it around and just tinkering with it when needed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Bad new is that Colorado changed their rules back in Sept and now 76 and newer vehicles have to get emissions and normal plates. My idle is too high to be tested (~1650RPM), and I have just started to look into it. Trouble is I can't even figure out my hose layout - it is fairly different than the few pictures I have stashed from these boards over the years as well as my Chilton manual. I have attached pictures that I hope detail the weirdness (to me), but here are my opening questions/concerns:

- It looks like the tab/hose connection normally coming off the top middle of the air filter housing has been plugged up by a previous owner by just bolting on a metal plate?
- Is the 3-port housing next to the battery (which is missing one of the hoses?) the AAR? If not, what is it? Any explanation for the missing hose attachment? I couldn't see anything obvious that it would plug into...

Thanks guys!

Oberg

Attached File(s)
Attached File  CIMG1536.JPG ( 2.1MB ) Number of downloads: 9
Attached File  CIMG1537.JPG ( 1.71MB ) Number of downloads: 8

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smoyer31
post Feb 4 2010, 07:05 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,457

QUOTE (michael_oberg @ Feb 4 2010, 06:57 PM) *
Hello!

I have been following these 914 boards since the beginning of the last decade, lurking, posting a tiny bit, and just lusting after 914's in general. Late last year I picked up a great-for-the-price silver '76 2.0, and with a gifted torsion bar from Kevin O'Shea and the Chilton & 700 tech tips from Michael Pieper, and after replacing all of the normal wear and tear items (plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, points, condensor, etc) I been having a blast driving it around and just tinkering with it when needed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Bad new is that Colorado changed their rules back in Sept and now 76 and newer vehicles have to get emissions and normal plates. My idle is too high to be tested (~1650RPM), and I have just started to look into it. Trouble is I can't even figure out my hose layout - it is fairly different than the few pictures I have stashed from these boards over the years as well as my Chilton manual. I have attached pictures that I hope detail the weirdness (to me), but here are my opening questions/concerns:

- It looks like the tab/hose connection normally coming off the top middle of the air filter housing has been plugged up by a previous owner by just bolting on a metal plate?
- Is the 3-port housing next to the battery (which is missing one of the hoses?) the AAR? If not, what is it? Any explanation for the missing hose attachment? I couldn't see anything obvious that it would plug into...

Thanks guys!

Oberg

I have what looks like the same car 76 2.0 silver and on my car it has the same port plate !!! I have seen this on other cars as well.

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 5 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #3

Go M's

Member No.: 24

The plate on the air cleaner is a block off plate cuz they ripped out the air injection system! See pic with the silver piping and red filter can for the air pump which pumped air into the exhaust ports. All these parts are around if you need them to get "certified".
The metal 3 port can below the battery is the decel valve and the small missing hose should go to the plenum IIRC.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  76_2.0L_Djet.jpg ( 58.86K ) Number of downloads: 9

+Quote Post
hcdmueller
post Feb 5 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #4

Graduate UBB

Member No.: 5,527

The port on the airbox connects to the EGR which only came on the California/catalytic converter models IIRC. The air injection system came on all of the 2.0L models for 75-76. They are two separate systems. My 76 2.0L doesn't have the EGR but did have the air injection which I have removed and saved just in case.

+Quote Post
PorVdub
post Feb 5 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 366

the three port housing is for the breather tubes more than likely.

you should get the emisions data fromt eh state to find out what they will be testing for. if they do a gas tank pressure test, you need to make sure all your breather hoses for tank are leak free.

i dont seeyour evap can in teh photo. early cars had them up near teh gas tank, later ones in the enginebay.

also get a cover on your batery to prevent rain / wash water from taking battery acid on down to the hell holel area

+Quote Post
vsg914
post Feb 5 2010, 04:39 PM
Post #6

I'm gone

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 666

The decel valve in your last pic has a missing hose that does go to the plenum as Goeff said. Its also causing your high idle. Get the hose in place ( or just cap it to drive it) you'll need it for the test.

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 6 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #7

Go M's

From the pics it looks like the green small dia hose crossing the dizzy should be connected to the small end of the Decel valve. Right now where does that green hose go to? This engine is missing alot of the proper parts for the emission stuff...I have a few of them in stock. Note the back port of the Decel valve should be hooked a Plenum port for vacuum, the side port to the air cleaner.

+Quote Post
adambo
post Feb 8 2010, 11:48 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 20,084

QUOTE (PorVdub @ Feb 5 2010, 11:13 AM) *
the three port housing is for the breather tubes more than likely.

you should get the emisions data fromt eh state to find out what they will be testing for. if they do a gas tank pressure test, you need to make sure all your breather hoses for tank are leak free.

i dont seeyour evap can in teh photo. early cars had them up near teh gas tank, later ones in the enginebay.

also get a cover on your batery to prevent rain / wash water from taking battery acid on down to the hell holel area

In Boulder they didn't do a gas tank pressure test for my '71. It still managed to fail though...

+Quote Post
Philip W.
post Feb 9 2010, 01:03 PM
Post #9

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 20,026

I am also newer owner of a 75 2.0, spent last 3 months getting it running. I have diagrams from pelican parts that shows the decel valve connected to that spot you are talking about. My car also has that disconnected, the decel valve is gone, which is o.k. in south carolina,- decel valve only function was for assisting with emissions. get hose diagram from pelican parts. look under 914 tech articles.
I also had idle problem - was at 2,000. getting the timing set, - there is an idle adjust screw on the throttle body- check that, also TPS (throttle position sensor) can be adjusted- my idle is now at 1200-1400. replace and check connections for all your vacuum lines- leaks at those or at the throttle body/plenum will cause high idle- also MPS sensor is your vacuum - I can't see from the pics if it is hooked up- the MPS will run over to the plenum - see diagram. also one last thing- on the control box- ECU- there is an idle rich/lean adjustment - that may bring you under 1500. but check the idle adjustment screw on throttle body first!(almost forgot- the Idle air control valve could be shot- there are several used but working on e- bay)
good luck-
Phil in S.C.

+Quote Post
Philip W.
post Feb 9 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #10

Dr. Phil

pelican parts hose diagram

here is the hose diagram - at pelican

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 9 2010, 01:31 PM
Post #11

Go M's

QUOTE (Philip W. @ Feb 9 2010, 10:13 AM) *

but those are for the 73-74 2.0L cars only, the 75-76 cars with all the air injection pieces are way different.

+Quote Post
Philip W.
post Feb 9 2010, 04:56 PM
Post #12

Dr. Phil

QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 9 2010, 01:31 PM) *

but those are for the 73-74 2.0L cars only, the 75-76 cars with all the air injection pieces are way different.

I have a 75- apparently removed-? no air injection- was that just on some- ie. california?

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 10 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #13

Go M's

Calif had CAT's installed along with the air injection in 75-76 cars...everybody removed the air injection parts in the 80's as the air pumps were prone to fail/maintain and cost hp.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 20, 2019 - 05:51 AM