Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie here, New-ish to me 914
cliffordbb
post Feb 2 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,525

Hi there,
My name is Cliff and I'm located in Tulsa, OK.

Bought my 1976 914 in about August '09. The car is in great condition for having sat in a garage for around 15 years.
It starts up every time and until about December it drove perfectly. When I got the car, I did a valve adjustment, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, and a couple of other misc. things. The interior is in decent condition and the only thing that really needs attention right now in there is the tach. It almost seems like it moves a little bit on startup, but not much after that. Any ideas/suggestions for that?

In December, I took it to a buddy's shop to install some drop link bushings and a few other things. On the way to the shop, I noticed that it would not shift into 1st or Reverse consistently and would require a lot of effort to put it into either gear. Once I got the car out of the bay and onto the road, it completely stopped going in to 1st. Would this just be shifter bushings that may have rotted out after so long?

Thanks in advance for any and all information. =)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
socalnewbie
post Feb 2 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,870

hi Cliff, welcome to the madness. Have you gotten under the car and visually inspected the bushings in the linkage and going into the tunnel? im no expert but seems like a good place to start. was it shifting sloppy before this occured? im just trying to give you a starting point and im sure one of the yodas will give you some good info. also, have you tried doing an advanced search for this problem in previous threads? good luck, Dave

+Quote Post
cliffordbb
post Feb 3 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #3

The transmission was shifting sloppily prior to not going in to the gears. It does go in sometimes, but theres no guarantee as to when it will. I haven't checked the underside thoroughly since we have had some bad weather here in Tulsa and haven't had access to a truck & trailer. I've tried searching different things, maybe I am not searching the correct terms?

+Quote Post
kg6dxn
post Feb 3 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #4

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 18,677

It could be the bushing at the firewall or perhaps the rod connection under the shifter is loos and has rotated slightly

+Quote Post
socalnewbie
post Feb 4 2010, 02:00 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 19,870

i have heard if it isnt grinding its probably the bushings and or adjustments. pelican has a bushing kit super cheap and tech articles on replacing them and adjusting. post a progress and pics if you can cliff cause im about to do the same thing otherwise i will when iget down there. good luck, Dave

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Feb 4 2010, 01:16 PM
Post #6

914 GOD

Member No.: 8

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Plenty of good 914 people in Tulsa!!

B

+Quote Post
zx-niner
post Feb 6 2010, 12:12 AM
Post #7

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 4,269

Definitely start by inspecting the bushings. Your symptons sound exactly like mine-- car shifted OK, let it sit several weeks to fix some other issues and the very first drive afterwards it wouldn't go into first. The bushing in the engine firewall chose that exact moment to crumble. Replacing them isn't technically difficult but at some point you will swear the bushings are too big to fit in the holes. Keep with it, they will.

And as mentioned, it could very well be a loose bolt holding the gear shift to the shaft. That's a much easier fix.

+Quote Post
70Sixter
post Feb 6 2010, 01:31 PM
Post #8

Group: Validating
Member No.: 2,444

Yep, those bushings get old and and crumble.

Clutch adjust probably in order also. Shifting into 1st is the sign clutch is set properly. Cables stretch to the point you cannot adjust w/o replacing cable.

Tach could need rebuild. Remove and try another borrowed unit. They just pull out. Otherwise trace wiring back to distributor. Or send tach to North Hollywood Speedo for fix.

+Quote Post
cliffordbb
post Mar 5 2010, 12:42 AM
Post #9

Wow! Thanks for all the great info! It has been really cold here in Tulsa, so I haven't had a chance to get into it at all. I will probably work on it this weekend and post what I find out.

Is there a trick/secret to putting the drop links(with new bushings) back onto the sway bar and shock? I have been having trouble figuring out a way to do it. Pulling the exhaust and sway bar would be one way to get that end done, but what about attaching drop links to the shocks? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
I have been wondering about this for quite some time now.

Thanks again for all the great info!

+Quote Post
ericread
post Mar 5 2010, 03:54 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,467

Just for the hell of it, take a look at your transmission mounts. If your driver's side tranny mount comes loose, the left side of the transmission will begin to droop. The first thing that happens is that first seems to go away.

That was the first issue I had with my 914 about 3 years ago. A couple of new tranny mounts, and everything was fine... Until the next thing broke

(repeat second paragraph on a monthly basis)

Eric Read

+Quote Post
cliffordbb
post Mar 5 2010, 04:34 PM
Post #11

Well, I attempted to look at it this afternoon and noticed that the rubber cover at the firewall was not quite on properly. I couldn't get under there far enough to scope it out further as the jack I had handy wouldn't raise the car up enough. I am getting the other jack out and taking a better look when I have a little more time this weekend.

I am still completely stumped about the drop links reattaching to the car...?

+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 5 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 129

QUOTE (cliffordbb @ Mar 5 2010, 01:34 PM) *
Well, I attempted to look at it this afternoon and noticed that the rubber cover at the firewall was not quite on properly. I couldn't get under there far enough to scope it out further as the jack I had handy wouldn't raise the car up enough. I am getting the other jack out and taking a better look when I have a little more time this weekend.

I am still completely stumped about the drop links reattaching to the car...?

Assuming these are stock drop links? Did you just replace the plactic ball cup bushing in them? If so it's no problem to get them back on. Just takes alot of pressure to pop them back on. I have used a big pair of channel locks to get a good enough grip . They will pop back on you just need to make sure they are in the drop link first. Do not try to put it on the arm & then add the drop link. The one on the shock is on the ball that should exist on your shock mount bolt. If there is no ball on the lower bolt someone swapped you bolt out. Hope that makes sense (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post
cliffordbb
post Mar 5 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #13

That makes sense. I already have the bushing in the drop link itself, its just a matter of getting the drop link reattached to the sway bars and shocks. All the hardware is there and everything is ready to go on, just a matter of getting them connected I suppose. I will try some channel locks.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
cliffordbb
post May 2 2011, 05:54 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (cliffordbb @ Mar 5 2010, 04:43 PM) *
That makes sense. I already have the bushing in the drop link itself, its just a matter of getting the drop link reattached to the sway bars and shocks. All the hardware is there and everything is ready to go on, just a matter of getting them connected I suppose. I will try some channel locks.

Thanks!

Well it has been almost a year since my last post. The car drove (without idle) until about August or so last year. It is getting nice again and before I drop the engine/transmission I wanted to drive it around a bit. Unfortunately, I am unable to get the car to start. It has spark, fuel and air, but still won't start...Any ideas????

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Drums66
post May 2 2011, 06:08 PM
Post #15

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151

Welcome to the club (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

+Quote Post
Drums66
Post #16

914 Rudiments

Welcome to the club (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

+Quote Post
Drums66
Post #17

914 Rudiments

Welcome

+Quote Post
vsg914
post May 3 2011, 02:29 PM
Post #18

I'm gone

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 666

Cliff, you have a PM.

+Quote Post
Scarlet75
post May 3 2011, 05:14 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 19,414

QUOTE (vsg914 @ May 3 2011, 03:29 PM) *
Cliff, you have a PM.

Must be nice having a teener in the same town as you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad2.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 19, 2019 - 02:05 PM