Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Low idle cold, high idle warm
aexe
post May 15 2019, 04:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,040

My second post today, thanks all. My 1974 1.8 (L-Jet FI, Pertronix ignition) is having idle issues. When I start it, it fires up almost instantly and then the idle drops to very low, under 500rpm typically. I usually have to keep my foot on the gas a bit to keep it from dying while it warms up, and then it idles great around 1000-1200 when warm. Once I begin driving, often for 30-60 minutes (my daily driver!), I will hit a light after the freeway and the idle comes down only to 1400-1800. I have replaced so far the AFM (previous flap was bent and rebuilt was an improvement for sure), the Head Temp Sensor (new), and the Aux Air Regulator (used, also confirmed 12v at connector). Valves adjusted two months ago. Admission: I have a large hole in the muffler. Would love advice on this issue! Thanks.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_5885.jpg ( 3.12MB ) Number of downloads: 0

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dr. 914
post May 16 2019, 08:25 AM
Post #2

Dr. 914

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20,846

sounds like an air leak. You could smoke the intake and see if anything is leaking anywhere, like the hoses , a split in the intake boot, the oil cap seals, the aux air valve not closing.

We have had problems with the pertronix causing funny problems. First make sure that your point plate moves with the retard vacuum and also that your rotor twists and springs back to make sure both vacuum retard and mechanical advance works. If you have an early 74 then you have vacuum advance also

QUOTE (aexe @ May 15 2019, 04:41 PM) *
My second post today, thanks all. My 1974 1.8 (L-Jet FI, Pertronix ignition) is having idle issues. When I start it, it fires up almost instantly and then the idle drops to very low, under 500rpm typically. I usually have to keep my foot on the gas a bit to keep it from dying while it warms up, and then it idles great around 1000-1200 when warm. Once I begin driving, often for 30-60 minutes (my daily driver!), I will hit a light after the freeway and the idle comes down only to 1400-1800. I have replaced so far the AFM (previous flap was bent and rebuilt was an improvement for sure), the Head Temp Sensor (new), and the Aux Air Regulator (used, also confirmed 12v at connector). Valves adjusted two months ago. Admission: I have a large hole in the muffler. Would love advice on this issue! Thanks.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 19, 2019 - 01:47 AM