Reply to this topicStart new topic
> UFO II tomarrow
grantsfo
post Jan 30 2010, 10:57 PM
Post #1

deactivated user

Group: Members
Member No.: 433

UFO 2 at Marina tomorrow. Looks like good weather will bless us in Central Cal again. Should be a great day! Preps and mods run in the PM.

I'm going a little early so I can setup new config for the day.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
914Magazine
post Jan 31 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 14,975

How did it go?

+Quote Post
Borderline
post Feb 1 2010, 12:10 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,577

weather was great. T shirt weather, I couldn't believe it. Wewere the first run group after lunch. there were so many cars there that we were lucky they let us run. They were talking of limiting entries. The car felt great. The course was fairly tight. One section had a series of very tight offset lanes. I don't think I had one clean run. I think the Boxster is wider than my 914. Vic was there with his bimmer and I think he had TTOD witha 59.xx My times without counting cones wre in the 64.xx and Grant got down to a 63.xx. Byt the time the last group was done it was getting dark. they must of had over 200 cars!! We ran the old cantis up front with the new tires in back. Gotta figure out how to get those new wheels/tires to clear up front. That car is so much fun to drive! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
914Magazine
post Feb 1 2010, 12:33 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Sounds like a great day.

+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Feb 1 2010, 03:15 AM
Post #5

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

Sounds like you are going backwards with the car Grant. You used to be with 2secs of the TTOD if I remember correctly. Come on, I beat Vic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-Britain

+Quote Post
914Magazine
post Feb 1 2010, 03:24 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 1 2010, 09:48 AM
Post #7

Drivelmeister

Member No.: 45

QUOTE (Borderline @ Jan 31 2010, 10:10 PM) *
Vic was there with his bimmer and I think he had TTOD witha 59.xx My times without counting cones wre in the 64.xx and Grant got down to a 63.xx. Byt the time the last group was done it was getting dark. they must of had over 200 cars!! We ran the old cantis up front with the new tires in back.

Ouch.
Running a tire set up like that is not conducive to good development particularly when you're fighting a push. Oh well, it's just air hockey.

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Feb 1 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #8

deactivated user

Sounds like a great day.

Very fun day and great weather. Rumor of over 250 cars! Everyone showed up for this one! Huge mod and prepared grid - think we had 4 or 5 full lanes with cars. There were 6 or more XP cars.

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Feb 1 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #9

deactivated user

. Come on, I beat Vic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-Britain

Yes you did! Great job!

Ouch.
Running a tire set up like that is not conducive to good development particularly when you're fighting a push. Oh well, it's just air hockey.

Not sure where you or JP got confused that my 2200lb car with stock 2480cc 180 WHP motor would be a contender for TTOD with national class SM cars? I dont think I have ever been confused that this poorly prepared FP class Boxster would be a TTOD contender around national class SM or XP cars. I'm dragging around 500 lbs more car and a 100 lbs more driver than your 914-6 with you in the car. Not to mention less HP. I'm sure a driver with talent of Vic in my car would have taken a second or two off my time. I'm surely no benchmark for cars capability to turn fast AX times.

Funniest thing is car was just pulled together day before this January event. I didnt have time to do anything to fenders to go with a different setup - The call to go with big rear tires wasnt a development decision it was a practical call as canti's on back were almost corded. We litterally just hoisted up car and slapped new tires on at event - checked for clerence which was tight and ran it! Figured we could still get some good learning from how tires performed on the back ..and it actually worked out much better than we had expected.

Thanks to both of you for encouragement and support though!

+Quote Post
Evan Fullerton
post Feb 1 2010, 09:49 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,285

Sounds like a blast Grant. Now we just need some more photos of it. I almost bought a Boxster but decided against it due to the grenade factor and ended up with an ass dragger instead (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) Can't wait to see where this car goes as I think it is probably the most developed AX Boxster in CA if not the whole US at the moment and that in and of its self makes it pretty cool.

The first event for my 993 is only 20 days away and I'm looking forward to it.

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Feb 1 2010, 11:22 PM
Post #11

deactivated user

Sounds like a blast Grant. Now we just need some more photos of it. I almost bought a Boxster but decided against it due to the grenade factor and ended up with an ass dragger instead (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) Can't wait to see where this car goes as I think it is probably the most developed AX Boxster in CA if not the whole US at the moment and that in and of its self makes it pretty cool.

The first event for my 993 is only 20 days away and I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks Evan.

Here are a few shots my wife took. She calls me cone head now. The new helmet is funny as hell! I ordered what I thought was a red helmet. Its safety cone orange.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Krote6
post Feb 1 2010, 11:38 PM
Post #12

Krote6

Member No.: 12,564

now that is funny no matter who you are

+Quote Post
Krote6
post Feb 1 2010, 11:39 PM
Post #13

Krote6

TC sure did make sure you had helmet clearance with the tall roll bar ..

+Quote Post
Krote6
post Feb 1 2010, 11:40 PM
Post #14

Krote6

now that I see how your front is sitting .. I could bring a baseball bat and make you flares at the event Grant .. car is looking mean btw

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Feb 2 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #15

deactivated user

now that I see how your front is sitting .. I could bring a baseball bat and make you flares at the event Grant .. car is looking mean btw

Yeah I may just try the old baseball bat approach. Boxster fenders are much easier to work than 914 fenders I may just be able to strech them over the new tires. In talking to owner of previous wheels today he indicated he did extensive "roll" to get tires to fit in front. I will probably do similar with rear as I'l like to run a real thin spacer as clearance is very close. Sometimes I forget my 914 roots. LOL!

All I have to say is could you imagine this car with a massaged 3.4? It would be a freaking rocket!

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Feb 2 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #16

deactivated user

QUOTE (DanT @ Feb 1 2010, 10:21 PM) *
car is looking great Grant...
I know that Tony had the broom stick rule in mind when he built the cage...
you run a straight line from the rear hoop to the front cowel bar and you see why the rear hoop is so tall...
Kind of like the cages they do for Factory 5 Cobras.

Yep he had me sit in car and did a mock broom stick measurement. I'd rather have extra margin of clearance. No guessing with Tony.

+Quote Post
Evan Fullerton
post Feb 2 2010, 01:09 AM
Post #17

The car looks hot even with the "swing set". I think it is because it is asymmetrical that it still looks good but no passengers or ride alongs. I guess that works if you already have a race license but I have to put a passenger seat in my car for check out rides with instructors.

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Feb 2 2010, 01:26 AM
Post #18

deactivated user

The car looks hot even with the "swing set". I think it is because it is asymmetrical that it still looks good but no passengers or ride alongs. I guess that works if you already have a race license but I have to put a passenger seat in my car for check out rides with instructors.

One thought how do formula drivers get certified? See my problem is I was certified in a Formula car. Still kick myself for not getting my license 5 years ago when I met all criteria, I just didnt follow through with physical and paperwork.

And I figure if a 5 year old can get around AX course by himself I'm OK.

(IMG:http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q75/Awsum24/Autocross/DSC_0270.jpg)

Look at sticker on that kart. Future AX champion?

+Quote Post
Evan Fullerton
post Feb 2 2010, 01:45 AM
Post #19

Is that Vic's son? Future autocross champion for sure if it is. I kinda wish I had been exposed to carts at 5 or 6. I did start racing a Sabot at 6 though so I learned all about slip angles at a young age (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)

A Sabot is a 8' horribly designed sailing dingy that does not track at all and almost sails better backwards but it is a darn competitive race class.

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Feb 2 2010, 02:05 AM
Post #20

deactivated user

Is that Vic's son? Future autocross champion for sure if it is. I kinda wish I had been exposed to carts at 5 or 6. I did start racing a Sabot at 6 though so I learned all about slip angles at a young age (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)

A Sabot is a 8' horribly designed sailing dingy that does not track at all and almost sails better backwards but it is a darn competitive race class.

What is it about us guys who have raced sail boats that find our way to AX? I started on Lasers and was doing offshore races before long. But I'm a much better AXer than sailer! I cant tie a knot and my navigation skills suck, but I can man a winch better than anyone. And if you ever want a hilarious offshore race story buy me a beer.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 16, 2019 - 09:44 PM