Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creamsicle
waspman
post Mar 8 2008, 03:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,331

My first post ...

My first air-cooled was a 1971 VW Super Beetle. It had a 2056cc Type IV engine. "Had" because it went up in flames with an electrical fire about three weeks ago. I have decided to go in a different direction for my next toy (would have been a new direction even if the mishap hadn't happened).

Acquiring a 914 has been in the back of my mind for a long, long time. It was in the front of my mind over a quarter century ago but I got sidetracked with a Fiat (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) . And it wasn't even an X-1/9. Since May 1986, it has been VWs only (not counting my wife's RX-7 when we met). Now a 914 is on my short list.

I am trying to learn as much as possible.

My first question ...

I saw an ad for '74 914 that has been "restored." It is not called a Creamsicle but it does have that paint scheme ... except for one very disturbing detail. (More on that with my second question.) I know one can acquire a CoA which I will do if I get one but I don't want to do that while just checking it out to see if it is my next car.

One site I was to listed Creamsicles and Bumblebees and their VINs if they were known. The one with which I have an interest in getting has an earlier VIN than any listed at that site. Does that earlier 1974 VIN automatically rule out that it is an LE model?

Not having an authentic Creamsicle wouldn't totally bother me but it would influence how much it was worth to me.

The one disturbing detail is whoever did the restoration seemed to have done a very nice job from the pics I can see. I will request better pics when I contact the current owner. However, the PORSCHE decal is black instead of the Phoenix Red that adorns the rest of the car in its proper places including right below the decal. Can a Phoenix Red PORSCHE decal be found, and how difficult would it be to remove the black one and install the red one?

I realize if such a decal were to be available in red, it would be aftermarket. I am okay with that -- especially if it is not a genuine LE model in the first place.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 9 2008, 09:30 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,765

My first post ...

My first air-cooled was a 1971 VW Super Beetle. It had a 2056cc Type IV engine. "Had" because it went up in flames with an electrical fire about three weeks ago. I have decided to go in a different direction for my next toy (would have been a new direction even if the mishap hadn't happened).

Acquiring a 914 has been in the back of my mind for a long, long time. It was in the front of my mind over a quarter century ago but I got sidetracked with a Fiat (IMG:http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) . And it wasn't even an X-1/9. Since May 1986, it has been VWs only (not counting my wife's RX-7 when we met). Now a 914 is on my short list.

My first question ...

I saw an ad for '74 914 that has been "restored." It is not called a Creamsicle but it does have that paint scheme ... except for one very disturbing detail. (More on that with my second question.) I know one can acquire a CoA which I will do if I get one but I don't want to do that while just checking it out to see if it is my next car.

One site I was to listed Creamsicles and Bumblebees and their VINs if they were known. The one with which I have an interest in getting has an earlier VIN than any listed at that site. Does that earlier 1974 VIN automatically rule out that it is an LE model?

Not having an authentic Creamsicle wouldn't totally bother me but it would influence how much it was worth to me.

The one disturbing detail is whoever did the restoration seemed to have done a very nice job from the pics I can see. I will request better pics when I contact the current owner. However, the PORSCHE decal is black instead of the Phoenix Red that adorns the rest of the car in its proper places including right below the decal. Can a Phoenix Red PORSCHE decal be found, and how difficult would it be to remove the black one and install the red one?

I realize if such a decal were to be available in red, it would be aftermarket. I am okay with that -- especially if it is not a genuine LE model in the first place.

Well, what would be the biggest help would be the VIN. Can you get it? If so, I can confirm whether or not it is/not an LE (cremesickle or bumblebee). The VIN's are very specific & in a specific range.

As to the COA - are you willing to pay almost $120 for something has become less than defintive as to 914's. These are rampant with errors these days and, unless PCNA is less than hardnosed about it, you shouldn't be able to get it without proper identification as the owner. I ouldn't waste my money either way. get me the VIN & I'll let you know if it's real or bogus. The LE's are increasing dramatically in value, so be very, very careful. I know of one in Atlanta that's perfect & priced over $40K.

Get that VIN!
Pat

+Quote Post
waspman
post Mar 10 2008, 03:45 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,331

Well, what would be the biggest help would be the VIN. Can you get it? If so, I can confirm whether or not it is/not an LE (cremesickle or bumblebee). The VIN's are very specific & in a specific range.

Thanks, Pat, for the quick response. By telling me they are indeed within a specific range, I think I already know the answer. In my self-education on the 914, I stumbled across a site that listed LE's and their known VIN's. I noticed one VIN was pointed to as being exceptional because it was outside the known range. Unlike the one I saw for sale, that one was at the tail end of the 1974 model year run.

The final five of the one I might consider is 00868.

The seller made no claim whatsoever as it being a Creamsicle, or a faux Creamsicle for that matter. Even if it is not an authentic LE, that wouldn't preclude me to not buying it. All things being equal, I would prefer either LE but there are other 914's I like, too.

As to the COA - are you willing to pay almost $120 for something has become less than defintive as to 914's. These are rampant with errors these days and, unless PCNA is less than hardnosed about it, you shouldn't be able to get it without proper identification as the owner. I ouldn't waste my money either way.

I am not keen about chasing down the COA of every 914 that crosses my path. I would spend the dough on my own car once I get it. If they have a lot of errors, however, I may reconsider. One reason I would want one is because of my recent experience with my Super Beetle. I have very little of it once it went up in flames. I had the stock engine dyno'd. I was going to frame that with the dyno of the 2056 Type IV engine it had at the end, but I never got around to dyno'ing it.

The LE's are increasing dramatically in value, so be very, very careful. I know of one in Atlanta that's perfect & priced over $40K.

I understand that and it would have an extra value to me. As for the one in Atlanta, it couldn't be perfect enough to be worth $40k to me. At that price, it would have to be a 914/6 -- and a darn nice authentic one at that.

Whatever I get, I want to drive. I am somewhat picky but I don't want a museum piece or a trailer queen.

Thanks again!

+Quote Post
Dr. 914
post Nov 23 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #4

Dr. 914

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20,846

The phoenix red stripes are commonly available as well. These days to restore a 914 to concours perfection it takes 40 grand! Too bad, leaves 914 restoration only to the most committed. We spent more than that on our white ltd edition and then again on the motor trend import car of the year.

QUOTE (waspman @ Mar 10 2008, 03:45 AM) *

Thanks, Pat, for the quick response. By telling me they are indeed within a specific range, I think I already know the answer. In my self-education on the 914, I stumbled across a site that listed LE's and their known VIN's. I noticed one VIN was pointed to as being exceptional because it was outside the known range. Unlike the one I saw for sale, that one was at the tail end of the 1974 model year run.

The final five of the one I might consider is 00868.

The seller made no claim whatsoever as it being a Creamsicle, or a faux Creamsicle for that matter. Even if it is not an authentic LE, that wouldn't preclude me to not buying it. All things being equal, I would prefer either LE but there are other 914's I like, too.

As to the COA - are you willing to pay almost $120 for something has become less than defintive as to 914's. These are rampant with errors these days and, unless PCNA is less than hardnosed about it, you shouldn't be able to get it without proper identification as the owner. I ouldn't waste my money either way.

I am not keen about chasing down the COA of every 914 that crosses my path. I would spend the dough on my own car once I get it. If they have a lot of errors, however, I may reconsider. One reason I would want one is because of my recent experience with my Super Beetle. I have very little of it once it went up in flames. I had the stock engine dyno'd. I was going to frame that with the dyno of the 2056 Type IV engine it had at the end, but I never got around to dyno'ing it.

The LE's are increasing dramatically in value, so be very, very careful. I know of one in Atlanta that's perfect & priced over $40K.

I understand that and it would have an extra value to me. As for the one in Atlanta, it couldn't be perfect enough to be worth $40k to me. At that price, it would have to be a 914/6 -- and a darn nice authentic one at that.

Whatever I get, I want to drive. I am somewhat picky but I don't want a museum piece or a trailer queen.

Thanks again!

+Quote Post
PSubowicz
post Feb 22 2011, 02:52 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,877

QUOTE (waspman @ Mar 8 2008, 03:52 AM) *
My first post ...

Acquiring a 914 has been in the back of my mind for a long, long time. It was in the front of my mind over a quarter century ago but I got sidetracked with a Fiat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) . And it wasn't even an X-1/9. Since May 1986, it has been VWs only (not counting my wife's RX-7 when we met). Now a 914 is on my short list.

My first question ...

They made a few, very few, creamsicles outside of the LE VIN numbers and one of them is for sale right now on this forum under Classifieds. It looks really nice. The previous owner put carbs on it for AX, however the current seller states that he has the complete FI system so you could easily convert it back if you wanted to. He has it priced pretty fairly. Good luck on your search!

+Quote Post
pooleegriff
post Feb 22 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 20,965

Reviving an old thread gents? hahaha, my two cents are forget about a creamsicle and try to find a grasshopper LE that's what I want!

+Quote Post
PSubowicz
post Feb 23 2011, 05:37 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,877

QUOTE (pooleegriff @ Feb 22 2011, 04:00 PM) *
Reviving an old thread gents? hahaha, my two cents are forget about a creamsicle and try to find a grasshopper LE that's what I want!

From what I've read on that, it's a myth that they came from the factory like that. I love the idea though and think that white with green wheels/bumpers/negative stripes would be beautiful.
Reviewing old posts is great!

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 9 2011, 05:52 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE (PSubowicz @ Feb 23 2011, 06:37 PM) *

From what I've read on that, it's a myth that they came from the factory like that. I love the idea though and think that white with green wheels/bumpers/negative stripes would be beautiful.
Reviewing old posts is great!

Yep, it's a myth. But I'd like to build one, just to stir the pot. There's also a tale about the aubergine LE. That would be cool too, but another myth.
Pat

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: January 24, 2019 - 02:41 AM