Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> You want a set of new Dunlop SP57 165HR15 Tires?, See Poll at 914world
Tom_T
post Jan 31 2011, 01:57 AM
Post #1

Group: SuperMod
Member No.: 18,200

Well if you've always wanted to re-shoe your concours baby, garage queen or really nice driver, or any 914 for that matter - in the OEM Dunlop SP57 Tires, here's a chance to weigh in on what they're worth to you, in order to try to interest Dunlop in doing a limited production run at their UK vintage tire plant.

Rather than diluting the results - which may determine whether Dunlop & its distributor(s) of vintage tires will do this - I'll aks that you use the poll at the sister website of 914world.

George, weigh in there, as I'm sure you have many customers who would be interested in these.

Go here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=115150&st=

TIA & Cheers!
Tom
///////
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 23 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #2

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

Plz vote for both price & how many tires you'd want (last option should read 5 or more).
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1435730

We've got 63 votes, but not all are voting on number - so the 21 or so votes there roughly comes out to 80+ tires so far. If all 63 votes were avg. of 4 apiece, then that's about 250+ tires for an informal interest list so far. Not bad from just old 914 folks, plus more from the old 911s, 912s & other makes crowd using them.

CW weenies will like them for the vintage look, but they drove & cornered very nice too without the tougher steering & lower mpg & poor snow performance of the "fatties" of today. I like them for all of the above for my 73 2L! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 4 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE (Tom_T @ Feb 23 2011, 11:31 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

Plz vote for both price & how many tires you'd want (last option should read 5 or more).
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1435730

We've got 63 votes, but not all are voting on number - so the 21 or so votes there roughly comes out to 80+ tires so far. If all 63 votes were avg. of 4 apiece, then that's about 250+ tires for an informal interest list so far. Not bad from just old 914 folks, plus more from the old 911s, 912s & other makes crowd using them.

CW weenies will like them for the vintage look, but they drove & cornered very nice too without the tougher steering & lower mpg & poor snow performance of the "fatties" of today. I like them for all of the above for my 73 2L! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Tom, what's the latest on this? I need shoes!
Pat

+Quote Post
Dr. 914
post Apr 5 2011, 11:00 AM
Post #4

Dr. 914

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20,846

So what is the latest on the Dunlop tires Tom?

QUOTE (Tom_T @ Jan 31 2011, 01:57 AM) *
Well if you've always wanted to re-shoe your concours baby, garage queen or really nice driver, or any 914 for that matter - in the OEM Dunlop SP57 Tires, here's a chance to weigh in on what they're worth to you, in order to try to interest Dunlop in doing a limited production run at their UK vintage tire plant.

Rather than diluting the results - which may determine whether Dunlop & its distributor(s) of vintage tires will do this - I'll aks that you use the poll at the sister website of 914world.

George, weigh in there, as I'm sure you have many customers who would be interested in these.

Go here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=115150&st=

TIA & Cheers!
Tom
///////

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 5 2011, 03:20 PM
Post #5

I need to bump the poll over in world again a few times to see if we get anymore votes, then contact the supplier again to see if he can convince Dunlop's UK retro tires plant to produce some.

I know Pat voted his, but maybe you could have Brad post on world a guess-timate of how many sets you think might sell via AA George (given the BS over there, which I still don't understand, but apparently the Stazi over there isn't going to explain it any further after Pat's & the other question got closed).

I'm down sick & bored stiff today, so I'll go bump it now. Sorry, but I've had a couple of family deaths & my son in Basic/AIT to visit & biz trips to deal with since I started that, so haven't been able to follow up yet.

Maybe bumps there from Pat & George may also help keep it on the top of the list & in the minds of the members there, so folks who never look at older posts will jump in & vote.

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 5 2011, 06:08 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Tom_T @ Apr 5 2011, 05:20 PM) *
I need to bump the poll over in world again a few times to see if we get anymore votes, then contact the supplier again to see if he can convince Dunlop's UK retro tires plant to produce some.

I know Pat voted his, but maybe you could have Brad post on world a guess-timate of how many sets you think might sell via AA George (given the BS over there, which I still don't understand, but apparently the Stazi over there isn't going to explain it any further after Pat's & the other question got closed).

I'm down sick & bored stiff today, so I'll go bump it now. Sorry, but I've had a couple of family deaths & my son in Basic/AIT to visit & biz trips to deal with since I started that, so haven't been able to follow up yet.

Maybe bumps there from Pat & George may also help keep it on the top of the list & in the minds of the members there, so folks who never look at older posts will jump in & vote.

Tom,

Why not put the same poll here? Just bear in mind cross posting.

What do we need in quantity to make this work?
Pat

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 5 2011, 06:15 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Pat Garvey @ Apr 5 2011, 03:08 PM) *

Tom,

Pat

Not sure what quantity is needed Pat, nor was the supplier here.

I tried to do one poll to avoid cross-posting double counting, since there'd be no way on a blind poll to check votes on both sites.

If one could be done on a 911 site &/or 356 site, then one could assume they were pretty much separate votes. However, I don't know where/how to reach those folks.

IIRC the 70's BMWs, MBZs, Alphas, etc. also used those Dunnies in that size, so there is a whole landscape beyond 914s where they could be selling those excellent handling tires.

BTW - the Michilin XAS 165SR15's that Lucas, Coker, etc. all sell would be spec for your 72 1.7 - except for the tube type aspect. IIRC Kumho, Bridgestone (TR), Vredestein & some others sell a 165SR15 tubeless tire still today, so you're not as "stuck" in finding a period correct set of new shoes for Fritz!

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 5 2011, 09:05 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Tom_T @ Apr 5 2011, 08:15 PM) *

Tom,

Pat

Not sure what quantity is needed Pat, nor was the supplier here.

I tried to do one poll to avoid cross-posting double counting, since there'd be no way on a blind poll to check votes on both sites.

If one could be done on a 911 site &/or 356 site, then one could assume they were pretty much separate votes. However, I don't know where/how to reach those folks.

IIRC the 70's BMWs, MBZs, Alphas, etc. also used those Dunnies in that size, so there is a whole landscape beyond 914s where they could be selling those excellent handling tires.

BTW - the Michilin XAS 165SR15's that Lucas, Coker, etc. all sell would be spec for your 72 1.7 - except for the tube type aspect. IIRC Kumho, Bridgestone (TR), Vredestein & some others sell a 165SR15 tubeless tire still today, so you're not as "stuck" in finding a period correct set of new shoes for Fritz!

Tom,
Kumho wasn't even a sperm cell in 72. Bridgestone neither (well, mabe a sperm cell).

No, I'm not stuck. I could put on just about anything. Just wished to stay period correct. And Vredsteins are not, for a Porsche.

+Quote Post
smg914
post Apr 6 2011, 02:55 PM
Post #9

member of the M471 club

Member No.: 1,695

Back in the 70's I used Continental, Kleber, Vredestein, Phoenix Staflex?? and Pirelli CN 36 on my 914's.
I always hated the Michelen XZX and the XAS. Although I had a lot of respect for the XWX, but I never had them on a 914.

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 6 2011, 05:51 PM
Post #10

Pat - you can use the Michi XZX 165SR15 & they're tubeless & period correct & SR is correct for your 72 1.7, while these SP57 HRs would be considered an upgrade (check your tire sticker on the fuel tank/exp. tank).
George said the Vredesteins were soft-sided IIRC.
I have a set of nearly new wear-wise Kleber 165SR15s on mine now you could have, but their from 1980!

Steve - I ran the Semperit M201 & M401 back in the 70's & loved them!
According to the R&T & MT tire tests of the day, they were almost as good handling as the Dunnnies here, but were half the price & twice the wear/longevity, and far better than Conti's & Michi's!

+Quote Post
smg914
post Apr 8 2011, 11:49 PM
Post #11

member of the M471 club

Member No.: 1,695

QUOTE (Tom_T @ Apr 6 2011, 02:51 PM) *
Pat - you can use the Michi XZX 165SR15 & they're tubeless & period correct & SR is correct for your 72 1.7, while these SP57 HRs would be considered an upgrade (check your tire sticker on the fuel tank/exp. tank).
I have a set of nearly new wear-wise Kleber 165SR15s on mine now you could have, but their from 1980!

According to the R&T & MT tire tests of the day, they were almost as good handling as the Dunnnies here, but were half the price & twice the wear/longevity, and far better than Conti's & Michi's!

Yeah, a lot of people were using the Semperit's back then. After my first autocross back in 1975, it wasn't long until I went with the 185/70 CN36. I like Pat, loved those tires. So much more predictable than the XWX on the race track. And they looked good on the 914. They lasted significantly longer than the XWX too, although they were somewhat of a traction compromise.

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 9 2011, 03:19 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (smg914 @ Apr 8 2011, 08:49 PM) *

Yeah, a lot of people were using the Semperit's back then. After my first autocross back in 1975, it wasn't long until I went with the 185/70 CN36. I like Pat, loved those tires. So much more predictable than the XWX on the race track. And they looked good on the 914. They lasted significantly longer than the XWX too, although they were somewhat of a traction compromise.

The one I remember being popular with the AXers & street runners back then was the 185/70VR15 Michilin XWXs - especially the 911 guys.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: June 24, 2019 - 11:01 AM