Reply to this topicStart new topic
> cleaning fuchs, what do you use?
rwilner
post Apr 29 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #1

Yep, I meant to do that.

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,841

I have 8 Fuch wheels, all totally filthy with caked on brake dust, dirt, and the funk of 40,000 years.

i need to clean them, but I'm afraid to use harsh chemical cleaners like I use on the alloys of my other cars.

What do you guys recommend:

- to take off the caked-on stuff?
- to do routine cleaning?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dr. 914
post May 7 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #2

Dr. 914

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20,846

we use (after washing them thoroughly) lacquer thinner to dissolve the tar and hardened grease. Then we wash them again with hot water and a fine soaped steel wool pad. After drying, we use semi chrome with fine steel wool (2000 grit) to give them a nice dull shine.

QUOTE (rwilner @ Apr 29 2010, 11:25 PM) *
I have 8 Fuch wheels, all totally filthy with caked on brake dust, dirt, and the funk of 40,000 years.

i need to clean them, but I'm afraid to use harsh chemical cleaners like I use on the alloys of my other cars.

What do you guys recommend:

- to take off the caked-on stuff?
- to do routine cleaning?

+Quote Post
rwilner
post May 19 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #3

Yep, I meant to do that.

Member No.: 20,841

QUOTE (Dr. 914 @ May 7 2010, 06:40 PM) *
we use (after washing them thoroughly) lacquer thinner to dissolve the tar and hardened grease. Then we wash them again with hot water and a fine soaped steel wool pad. After drying, we use semi chrome with fine steel wool (2000 grit) to give them a nice dull shine.

George, do you mean simichrome? I was going to try it but i'm worried about the anodize.

+Quote Post
PSubowicz
post Feb 17 2011, 09:46 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,877

George, do you mean simichrome? I was going to try it but i'm worried about the anodize.

If you don't want to use Brake Cleaner, bug and tar remover works well and is much more gentle. After you get the caked on brake dust and grime off use any type of wheel cleaner and a soft brush.
To get them really shining, I use Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. Get a wet washcloth and wring out the water and scoop out the polish and apply it in a circular motion, rubbing it until it disappears. Then remove it with a soft (T-shirt rag or microfiber) cloth. Then I use Eagle One "Original NEVR-DULL" metal polish.
Take your time on this. I spent about an hour on each wheel recently and they turned out beautiful. Finish the project with some fresh new lug bolts and presto, they'll look new!
Have fun!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: June 17, 2019 - 08:13 PM